Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: how to identify legacy wireless switch

how to identify legacy wireless switch

Hello:

I have what is probably a legacy wireless switch because I don't see any photos that it looks like. I was able to open the switch and find numbers, but when I search them, they don't come up with a model number. Here are photos that look like a serial number, and maybe one of the identifiers underneath the serial number sticker is a part number.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	71409712254__0D362052-E43B-43D1-88CD-B8FB717A9D46.jpeg 
Views:	3 
Size:	62.7 KB 
ID:	1040Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2023-08-18 at 6.36.58 PM.png 
Size:	630.2 KB 
ID:	1041

Here is why I am asking. I had a contractor replace flourescent fixtures with screw-in light fixtures. The on/off switch works fine with incandescent and light bulbs. In one instance a flourescent light bulb looked like it was slightly powered but not enough to fully turn on. It is wonky with dimmable and non-dimmable 60W equivalent LED light bulbs. Sometimes the bulbs look like they are dimmed. If I hit on or off the LED lights do not turn off. I don't need a dimmer, just on and off.

I would like to reprogram the switch if possible or replace it with something that will work. But I don't know what to do next.

So my questions are:
    1. What model is this switch?
    2. Does it need to be reprogrammed?
    3. Do I need to replace it with a different switch?
    4. Do I need to supplement it with an additional part?

Thank you for any help with this.
    GaryS

I was able to slide out another piece that showed me that part number, PJ-2B.

Name:	IMG_3590.jpeg 
Views:	1 
Size:	33.9 KB 
ID:	1042

can I reprogram this wireless switch?

My PJ-2B previously switched a fluorescent tube system with ballasts. My contractor replaced the ballast fixtures with simple screw-in light fixtures. The switch works perfectly to turn on/off incandescent bulbs. LED bulbs stay on dimly and the switch doesn't affect them. How do I resolve this? I replaced the CR2032 battery with one that is now showing green in my battery tester.

Here is how the front of this looks.

Name:	IMG_3589.jpeg 
Size:	35.0 KB 
ID:	1043

Lutron Technical Support
    Do you know what the PJ-2B is controlling? It sounds like the device that is physically controlling the lights may not be compatible with LED lighting loads.

Capacitor needed

Hi Garrett,

Thank you for responding. I got help yesterday from Lutron support and we figured out that my problem seems to be what they call ghosting. The wireless switch works with another unit in the wall, a unit that I can’t find because it is probably behind a bookcase that is fully loaded.

However, my description of the problem to tech-support suggested to them that a small amount of current runs through the circuit always as part of the Lutron system. Or, at least as part of the old system that I have installed. The LED lights all go dim and can’t be turned on or off unless I plug an incandescent bulb into the last fixture in the series. Tech-support said that that provides enough resistance so that’s the LED bulbs don’t ghost.

They suggest that the solution for this is to install a capacitor that they mailed me at no charge that will provide enough resistance in the circuit to prevent the ghosting and allow my lights to go on and off at full power. One of the clues that probably helped solve this problem is that the lights do go fully on and off when that incandescent bulb is in place. This means that the switch is working.

I read elsewhere that Lutron may now be providing that capacitor as part of its new systems.