Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Original Smart Dimmer won't connect to Smart Bridge

Question Original Smart Dimmer won't connect to Smart Bridge

Moved into home last year that has in-wall "original smart dimmer" switches. After installing the new Smart Bridge and app, I follow the app directions to add the dimmer device. I get the rapid blink on dimmer, but the app & bridge apparently don't see the dimmer. I tried to reset the wall dimmer, by pressing the top on switch 3x, and holding it down the 3rd time. It doesn't given any feedback that it is resetting. What else should I try?

Lutron Technical Support
    Hello,

We have seen that if the system is in pairing mode, the defaulting process will get interrupted and not properly completing. We would recommend closing out your Lutron app and then retry the factory default process (triple-tap, hold, triple-tap, release) on the dimmer. Once you get the proper feedback from the device (dims down and up 3x after the release), you can reopen the app and retry adding to your system.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth P. View Post
    Hello,

We have seen that if the system is in pairing mode, the defaulting process will get interrupted and not properly completing. We would recommend closing out your Lutron app and then retry the factory default process (triple-tap, hold, triple-tap, release) on the dimmer. Once you get the proper feedback from the device (dims down and up 3x after the release), you can reopen the app and retry adding to your system.

OK I tried, and I am still not getting any response from the dimmer itself - it is not doing the "dims up and down" pattern. I also tried unplugging the Smart Bridge and trying the reset sequence, but that didn't work either.

Lutron Technical Support
    Hello,

The reset process is very time sensitive. You have about a half second from the end of the triple-tap-hold to the start of the triple-tap-release. If the timing isn't right the dimmer will not reset. It may take multiple attempts to complete successfully. If you are still having issues, give our technical support number a call (1-888-588-7661) and we can assist through a camera sharing process from your smart phone. Also, here a demonstration video for reference: https://youtu.be/foHMG1e_F5Q

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan K. View Post
    Hello,

The reset process is very time sensitive. You have about a half second from the end of the triple-tap-hold to the start of the triple-tap-release. If the timing isn't right the dimmer will not reset. It may take multiple attempts to complete successfully. If you are still having issues, give our technical support number a call (1-888-588-7661) and we can assist through a camera sharing process from your smart phone. Also, here a demonstration video for reference: https://youtu.be/foHMG1e_F5Q
    OK I think I succeeded. Probably wasn't doing the successive presses quick enough. Have now got both switches connected and visible in the app, and set a schedule. Will see tonight if the schedule worked. Thank you Jonathan!