Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Potential Bug Affecting 3rd Part Integration

Potential Bug Affecting 3rd Part Integration

Hello all.

I believe I have found a bug in the RA2 firmware which prevents certain 3rd party control from working properly. I am using an RTI control system to control a Radio RA2 Main Repeater over Ethernet. I have several touch screens and handheld remotes that have been working perfectly thus far for controlling both lights and shades. I am also running the latest RTI and Lutron firmware and software (Lutron RA2 9.3 which was just posted).

This is the issue:

Under the advanced settings window for a seeTouch keypad, I tried enabling "Save changes on button hold". This feature allows the homeowner to customize scenes on the fly and save them back to the keypad by pressing and holding a button for 6 seconds. Now this feature works as advertised, but this creates another issue. I can no longer have my RTI control system send keypad commands to the keypad to press scene buttons. In my test setup, this included sending shade commands to both lower and raise the shades. Feedback seems to still work fine, it's just the sending of commands than seem to get dropped.

Once I disable the "Save changes on button hold" feature, control of the shades comes back. I tried this on both 9.2 and 9.3, and I can go back and forth enabling/disabling to prove this is in fact causing the problem.

Note that commands sent to the Main Repeater for Phantom buttons, or directly to dimmers, still work as always. This issue seems to be isolated to seeTouch keypads.

Thanks,
    Dino

Quote Originally Posted by dinom View Post
    Hello all.

I believe I have found a bug in the RA2 firmware which prevents certain 3rd party control from working properly. I am using an RTI control system to control a Radio RA2 Main Repeater over Ethernet. I have several touch screens and handheld remotes that have been working perfectly thus far for controlling both lights and shades. I am also running the latest RTI and Lutron firmware and software (Lutron RA2 9.3 which was just posted).

This is the issue:

Under the advanced settings window for a seeTouch keypad, I tried enabling "Save changes on button hold". This feature allows the homeowner to customize scenes on the fly and save them back to the keypad by pressing and holding a button for 6 seconds. Now this feature works as advertised, but this creates another issue. I can no longer have my RTI control system send keypad commands to the keypad to press scene buttons. In my test setup, this included sending shade commands to both lower and raise the shades. Feedback seems to still work fine, it's just the sending of commands than seem to get dropped.

Once I disable the "Save changes on button hold" feature, control of the shades comes back. I tried this on both 9.2 and 9.3, and I can go back and forth enabling/disabling to prove this is in fact causing the problem.

Note that commands sent to the Main Repeater for Phantom buttons, or directly to dimmers, still work as always. This issue seems to be isolated to seeTouch keypads.

Thanks,
    Dino
    This is a serious bug and one that will cause a great deal of trouble and frustration with systems we have out on the field. I sincerely hope Lutron recognizes this bug and handles it with extreme priority.

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Hi Dinom, Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I have tried to replicate the issue that you are explaining and have not been able to. Could you send a copy of the project file that you are having this issue with to systemsupport@lutron.com? This way we can try to recreate the issue that you are experiencing and if there is a possible bug, we can look in to a way to resolve the issue quickly.

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    When you have the "Save changes on Button Hold" option enabled, your RTI system needs to send a release command instead of a press.

For example, if you normally send #DEVICE,14,1,3 to virtually press button 1 of keypad ID 14; now you would have to send #DEVICE,14,1,4 in order to trigger that button.

Thanks, I'll try that out. Makes sense that with the press and hold feature, the system must now react to the release of the button, instead of the press. Unfortunately this can cause a lot of issues with fielded systems with 3rd party controllers already designed to send the press command.

Thanks for the very quick resolution!

Dino