Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Dimmer question?

Question Dimmer question?

I bought a Lutron AYCL-153P led dimmer to control a new led fixture which replaced an incandescent fixture. Although the dimmer was installed per Lutron instructions, the on-off toggle's position is inverted, ie. the light is on when the toggle is in the down position and off when the toggle is up. This is opposite the standard convention here in the U.S. Is there any solution other than mounting the dimmer upside down in the wallbox?

Lutron Technical Support
    Hello Bob. Welcome to the forum! To fix your issue, please remove the wire you have connected to the brass screw and move it to the other brass screw. The connections should look like the diagram below:

Kyle, I was glad to see your reply to Bob, as I just installed a Lutron dimmer (model #DVWCL-153PH) and had the same problem he did. Very possibly the advice you gave him will work for me as well. But for some reason I don't see the diagram you referred to in your message (I've tried in two browsers, but without luck). Can you help me? Many thanks.

Lutron Technical Support
    Would you be able to confirm if that this DVCL-153P is being used in a single-pole application? If so, you should be using the black and red wires. If you use the black and red/white wires, you will notice that the switch operates "upside down".

That did it.

Garrett, thanks very much for your help. I finally had a chance today (with the help of a friend) to give it a try, and it did indeed do the trick. Much appreciated! Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Garrett S. View Post
    Would you be able to confirm if that this DVCL-153P is being used in a single-pole application? If so, you should be using the black and red wires. If you use the black and red/white wires, you will notice that the switch operates "upside down".

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Wenaas View Post
    I bought a Lutron AYCL-153P led dimmer to control a new led fixture which replaced an incandescent fixture. Although the dimmer was installed per Lutron instructions, the on-off toggle's position is inverted, ie. the light is on when the toggle is in the down position and off when the toggle is up. This is opposite the standard convention here in the U.S. Is there any solution other than mounting the dimmer upside down in the wallbox?
    If your dimmer is compatible with the Lutron Maestro Smart Bridge, you can pair it with the Lutron app and adjust the Switch Direction setting to reverse the on-off toggle functionality.