Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Replaced Homeworks 4 processor does not recognize RF devices

Post Replaced Homeworks 4 processor does not recognize RF devices

My original H4P5-H48-HRL-120 Homeworks processor recently died. Everything was working fine until 2 weeks ago. I have replaced the processor with an identical model purchased on Ebay that has had the battery replaced. I have uploaded the program and all wired lights & keypads are working again, but I am unable to get ANY of the RF devices to upload or be recognized by the new processor.

As you probably know, the RF devices communicate through Link 8 on the board. I am suspicious that the Link 8 connection on the "new" board may be faulty. Neither the Tx or Rx lights are on next to Link 8.

I would very much appreciate any help or guidance here to get the RF devices to upload to the new processor.

RF devices won't automatically join the new system. If you go into activate mode, and have the serial numbers in the software, they should automatically activate. Make sure all your repeaters are activated first.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Thank you randyc for your assistance! I have tried to use serial number addressing to activate the RF devices, but I must be doing something incorrectly. There are two RF hybrid repeaters on the system that were showing under the "addressed" column, but none of the other RF devices would activate. I then chose the option to "unaddress" the two repeaters with the intention to "address" them again. Both repeaters now show on the unaddressed side, but the option to address remains grayed out so I am unable to re-address them. Per the instructions, I pushed the "Status" button on the repeater closest to the processor to get it to address first, but no luck so far.

Do you you have any more ideas for me?

You probably need to factory reset the repeaters. It's been so long I don't remember the button combination to do it. You will need to call Lutron tech support. Call during the day as the off-hours people are not very familiar with legacy systems.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Procedures I followed to replace a Lutron Homeworks H4P5-H48-HRL-120 processor:
    Warning: I have typed these instructions from memory after the fact so there are undoubtedly mistakes. I am just a homeowner, not a technician, but hopefully this information will save you some time!
    It is very simple at the start: Hook up new the processor and upload your program file through the “upload project” up arrow on the terminal screen.
    You will find that wired devices work, but none of the RF devices talk to the new processor.
    To solve this, I needed to unaddress the repeater(s) and readdress them in “serial number processing” in the Illumination software. First unaddress them in the Hoeworks Illumination software (I am on version 1.64), then reset them to factory defaults by pushing and holding the repeater status button until it turns orange, let up, then press & hold it again until it beeps. This confirms the repeater is reset to factory defaults.
    Next, beginning with the repeater that is wire-attached to Link 8 on the processor and then progressing to the RF repeater furthest away from the processor: Push the status button again once on the repeater to “wake it up” You should now see the repeater in the “center” of the screen in the “ready to be addressed” section of “Step 2” in serial number addressing.
    Next, unaddress the repeaters again and readdress them following the same procedures. When you un-address the repeaters the second time, all of the other RF devices are unaddressed, too. (You can un-address each device manually, but this way is faster).
    Follow the procedures outlined in the Homeworks software help section 4.6 Factory Defaulting Devices to return each of your RF devices (lamp dimmers, tabletop keypads, RF dimmers & RF keypads in my case) to their factory defaults. As long as they are in range of one of the repeaters, (most) all of them should now be found through auto addressing (Step 3 of the Serial number addressing process). Those that are not found should be found through the manual serial number addressing process (Step 4 of serial number addressing).
    None of the buttons on your system will work at this point. The serial number addressing process erases your project file from the processor so you must upload it again through the “Upload Project” up arrow on the “Terminal” screen. Hopefully all will be working for you after the project file uploads again.
    ***Thank you to randyc from this forum for his assistance. You ROCK!
    *****Big thanks also to ACE systems in Georgia. I purchased the replacement processor through them and could not have successfully installed it without their helpful guidance. I highly recommend you buy your next Lutron processor, repeater, etc. through ACE Systems. They have earned my respect and my business!

This error is silly, It's too annoying for users.