Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Wireless switch change to dimmer?

Wireless switch change to dimmer?

We recently an electrician add a ceiling light to a bedroom. There was no way to reasonably run a wire to the switch location. The electrician did this while we were gone and he’s unavailable for a few weeks. I thought we told him to put it on a dimmer. I have a Lutron PB2-2B in the wall box where a switch we didn’t need was located. That Lutron device is wireless. Is there a different wireless switch I can use to convert this to a dimmer? Did he install a Wi-Fi receiver in the mount of the light? I’m trying not to take down the light as there are 240 strands of crystals, which would be a mess to deal with.

I have spent about an hour trying to solve this via Google to no avail so apologies if this is obvious. I don’t know the Lutron product line. I did buy a Lutron remote control dimmer but I don’t think that’s the right thing.

Thanks!

Lutron Technical Support
    Would you be able to confirm the model number of the wireless device? Lutron Pico remotes will usually start with a PJ2. I am thinking you are using a PJ2-2B which is just a ON/OFF remote that would be wirelessly paired to another module. The other module could be a a dimmer/switch or it could be a module wired up in the ceiling. Do you by chance know what module is installed? The installed module would tell us if you would be able to dim the lights or if you can only switch the lights.

The remote is the PJ2-2B. There is no other switch associated with this light. He pulled power from an unused spotlight outside, ran it over the roof and punched a hole in the roof for the power to the chandelier. Therefore, I’m guessing there is a controller wired above the light.

So, is the path of least resistance to buy a replacement for the pJ2-2B and try to figure out how to get it wireless connected to be the controller? By chance do you know what the dimmer replacement for what I have is? I get a confused in the Lutron site as I’ve got no experience with the product line. Is it a requirement to open the box and get the model of the controller or replace it with a dimmable controller?

Thanks much. Hoping it doesn’t have to come down but it is what it is!

Lutron Technical Support
    Swapping out the PJ2-2B to something like that PJ2-3BRL which supports dimming, may not change anything for you. If the module up in the ceiling is a RMJS-5R for example, this is only capable of turning the lights ON and OFF, no dimming. You will also need to access the module in the ceiling to pair the new remote to it so either way I would suggest trying to find where the module is installed and see if you can get the model number. The model number of the module will tell us if it's switching only or if it could do dimming.

Also, you mentioned that he took power from an old fixture that is no longer used. Where is the switch located for that? He may have installed a wireless Lutron switch in that location instead of a module in the ceiling.

I was able to get to the switch. He mounted it up on the roof! It’s a Maestro Wireless MRF2S-6ANS. I haven’t researched it yet but if you know if this will work for dimming or have an idea on what to replace it with, pls let me know. Thanks much!

Scott