Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: RadioRA2 to RadioRA3 converion. Device warning question.

Question RadioRA2 to RadioRA3 converion. Device warning question.

Hi.

I am converting my RA2 to a RA3. All going okay, except I got this message and all these devices in Lutron Designer are red.

Quote Quote
    The following devices will be converted to the new project but you will not be able to add additional devices this job.
    • Hybrid 6BRL - RRD-H6BRL
    I am not really sure what I am reading. Are they going to work? I can't ad ANY additional devices to this job? Or just no more Hybrid 6BRL devices?

Hello,

The RRD-H6BRL is a non neutral based hybrid keypad that is obsolete. You can still add neutral based hybrid keypads like the RRD-HN6BRL in RA3. The ones you have will work but you would not be able to add any additional ones into the project that are not neutral based.

We hope this sheds some light!

I wish they would do this with Grafik Eye and Grafik T devices for people who upgrade from Ra2 to Ra3. It's ok if they're obsolete but just make what the customer already has to work.

4. Likes johnmax, rkredesign liked this post
    For a new install, RA3 is the way to go. Even if you’re not a fan of the new dimmers and buttons (no back light, no color change kits) you can still keep and add SeeTouch and Maestro controls. However if you’re an existing RA2 customer with a couple of six zone Grafik Eyes, Lutron offers little incentive to upgrade. Replacing two Grafix Eyes means purchasing 12 RRD-Pros plus the cost and hassle of adding/moving electrical boxes to gain the needed number gangs which will likely end up with a less atheistically pleasing installation. Many existing RA2 customers with Grafik Eyes would probably upgrade to gain access to more shade options and new devices such as the outdoor switch but having to tear up walls and rewire to do so is a major roadblock. What is especially annoying about all of this is it’s a problem created by marketing types. I seriously doubt there are any technical reasons the Grafik Eyes and the Grafix T controls cannot be supported in RA3. The best option for many RA2 users may be to pick up an extra RA2 main repeater in case the old one fails.

Quote Originally Posted by scruzguy View Post
    For a new install, RA3 is the way to go. Even if you’re not a fan of the new dimmers and buttons (no back light, no color change kits) you can still keep and add SeeTouch and Maestro controls. However if you’re an existing RA2 customer with a couple of six zone Grafik Eyes, Lutron offers little incentive to upgrade. Replacing two Grafix Eyes means purchasing 12 RRD-Pros plus the cost and hassle of adding/moving electrical boxes to gain the needed number gangs which will likely end up with a less atheistically pleasing installation. Many existing RA2 customers with Grafik Eyes would probably upgrade to gain access to more shade options and new devices such as the outdoor switch but having to tear up walls and rewire to do so is a major roadblock. What is especially annoying about all of this is it’s a problem created by marketing types. I seriously doubt there are any technical reasons the Grafik Eyes and the Grafix T controls cannot be supported in RA3. The best option for many RA2 users may be to pick up an extra RA2 main repeater in case the old one fails.
    Lol this is 100% a problem created by the marketing types. I don't want to dox myself too much but it reminds me of some group projects we had in business school where even in an imaginary project, people in the group who worked for a big corporation in real life would take every chance to maximize profits without seeing any other consequences to their action. It's like any empathy was gone.

Quote Originally Posted by SparkyCoog View Post
    Lol this is 100% a problem created by the marketing types. I don't want to dox myself too much but it reminds me of some group projects we had in business school where even in an imaginary project, people in the group who worked for a big corporation in real life would take every chance to maximize profits without seeing any other consequences to their action. It's like any empathy was gone.
    Let's give some credit to the engineers. Maybe they saved 4.2 cents on a chip so had to delete some lines of code. There is no way it was too hard for the best engineers in upper Bucks County! After all, they did create software to predict when the groundhogs will show up.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com