Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: VCRX Input to Press a Button

VCRX Input to Press a Button

Is it not possible to have the VCRX "press a button" in response to an input contact closure?

E.g., I've got a button - say, on a keypad or a phantom button in the main - that sets the time clock mode to "away." When I close the VCRX input closure, I want it to "push" that button, setting the time clock to away.

Use case is a security system - it can close a relay when "armed away," and I want the "away" time clock events to kick in. When it's disarmed, it releases the relay, so I'd "push" another button setting the time clock back to Normal.

I've been staring at this in Essentials for an hour because it didn't dawn on me that the VCRX can run controls, but not push keypad buttons.

The contact closure input can be programmed to the keypad on the VCRX itself, which can be assigned as a time clock mode- switching your system to "away" or any other timeclock mode. If the closure is programmed on the VCRX as maintained, when the closure releases the VCRX will release the timeclock button and revert the system to "normal" timeclock operation.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

Quote Originally Posted by SanDiegoRep View Post
    The contact closure input can be programmed to the keypad on the VCRX itself, which can be assigned as a time clock mode- switching your system to "away" or any other timeclock mode. If the closure is programmed on the VCRX as maintained, when the closure releases the VCRX will release the timeclock button and revert the system to "normal" timeclock operation.
    So, how's that programming done (mapping the input to a button) in Essentials? Or is it a set of DIP switches or something in the VCRX hardware?

Jeepdon-
    Looks like I was mistaken. The input cannot be mapped to a keypad button or a time clock mode, at least in the 8.2 that I am currently looking at. I will check this in 9.3 when I get home. This would be a nice feature add from Lutron, by the way.

Any chance you can use an IP command or RS232 into the main repeater? There are codes to enable the time clock mode that way.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

No, the alarm panel only has relay outputs. It's not a computer. I'm not seeing the functionality in 9.3, either.

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    At this time we do not have the ability to map a CCI to a specific keypad button. I will forward this to our System Development Team so they can look at adding this as a future feature.

Has this been addressed yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike S. View Post
    At this time we do not have the ability to map a CCI to a specific keypad button. I will forward this to our System Development Team so they can look at adding this as a future feature.
    Hi, newbie here... I was wondering if this issue had been addressed yet? My particular dilemma: I have a system with a whole-house backup generator. I've got a "rig" that provides a contact closure when the genny is operating (not simply exercising once a month). I need a way to map an Input on the VCRX (attached to the genny contact closure) to a button so I can initiate a special Green Mode (say, reduce all lighting by 25%, and turn off selected lights, fans, etc). This will enable me to lighten the load on the genny - Yes, the fridge and the freezer and the hvac still run at 100%, but every bit of lightening the overall load helps. That's why I'm looking to be able to initiate a special Green/Genny mode and RRA2 seems like the best possible solution.

Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by Mike S. View Post
    I don't currently have a VCRX but I'm thinking of adding one to my system. What type of responses are triggerable from the CCI's, other than the dedicated Security response?

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    The CCI on a VCRX is limited to controlling a lighting scene or triggering a CCO. You could program a keypad button as a toggle/room monitoring and then assign a phantom load to it. Then have the CCI toggle that phantom load on when the Generator turn on. This will cause the LED on the keypad button to turn to act as an indicator. You would then need a 2nd button to put the system into a Green mode, or a 3rd party system that can monitor the LED state and when it turns on, send a command to the Main Repeater to trigger Green mode.