Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Dimmer for 14.9A Circuit

Dimmer for 14.9A Circuit

Hello,
    I have two circuits each powering chandeliers with incandescent bulbs. One draws 14.9A (4 chandeliers, 20A circuit), and the second draws 7.8A (2 chandeliers, 20A circuit). I plan to switch to LED bulbs soon but will need to dim them as the LED candelabra bulbs are only available in 25W equivalent vs the 15W incandescent bulbs that are used now. I also want to be safe in case for some reason someone goes back to incandescent bulbs in the future.
    My question is can I use Nova T 1500W dimmers on these two circuits? Its clear they will work with the incandescent bulbs but will they work with the LED bulbs I plan to install?

Thanks.

Jim

The first circuit is 1,788 watts (14.9*120). You would need the NT-2000 to cover the wattage. Keep in mind the NT-1500 and NT-2000 are 2-gang devices. They have a substantial heat sink on the front that is not very attractive. They also come in Lutron Architectural colors and style. Not bad, just different.

There are some single-gang dimmers that will control up to 250w of LED. That first circuit is 300w even with LED.

The NT series was designed pre-LED. With that much load they may do OK. Make sure your bulbs say dimmable with incandescent dimmer or forward phase/leading edge dimmer.

The PHPM-PA may be an alternative. It will require some rewiring but it will control up to 16a.

Incandescent bulbs are mostly gone. There is pending legislation that would eliminate halogen. I wouldn't worry about making it backwards compatable with products that are being phased out (if they are not already gone).
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Thanks RandyC. The bulbs we are planning to use are Philips 566653, 2.3W dimmable bulbs. There will be 144 bulbs on one circuit and 72 on the other. Unfortunately, these new bulbs are not yet on any compatibility list, Lutron's or Philips'.

The new bulbs should only be 330W (2.3W * 144) and 166W on the second circuit. If i could size the dimmer based on these wattages that would give me many more options, but I don't believe I can do that per the elec. codes.