Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: HWI RF Maestro dimmers and LEDs

HWI RF Maestro dimmers and LEDs

I have a very small H-RFP-2P, a bunch of Maestro 6ND, 6D, 8ANS, 5KP, STRD-6B (about 12 or so of these) system RS-232 integrated with my Crestron system. Works great since 2005. As we all know incandescent and halogen bulbs are going away. I could replace the dimmers with HRD-8ANS and enjoy either full brightness LEDs or darkness because I was under the impression that my old Maestro HRD dimmers do not have the correct "phase" dimming. But now I found a page on the Lutron site that implies otherwise: https://www.lutron.com/en-US/Service...merMatrix.aspx. I chose HomeWorks Illumination Dimmer w/neutral, scrolled down to a PAR 30 EcoSmart, clicked on it and in the compatibility chart it shows HxD-6ND (not clear why "x" and not "R"). Is this correct? Does anyone run with old Maestro HWI dimmers and LEDs? I presume my H-RFP-2P is Homework Illumination. My stash of PAR 30 halogens is getting smaller by the year so if I could really use LEDs, it would be great.

HomeWorks Illumination used wired (HWD-6D) and radio (HRD-6D) controlled devices. Other than the communication method the devices were identical so Lutron used the X (HxD-6D) to indicate the data applies to both wired and RF devices.

Most of the stand alone LED bulbs are going to be forward phase. MOST, not all. (I put that in because I feel like you will be lucky and find some that are not forward phase). The 6NDs have a neutral connection so they should do OK with LED bulbs. The 6Ds have a 50 watt minimum load. They may be an issue if you only have 1 or 2 bulbs.

You may be able to move some dimmers around so the 6NDs are on the zones with 1 or 2 bulbs. Lutron also makes a minimum load capacitor (LUT-MLC) which might help.

I've had pretty good luck with the EcoSmart brand from HomeDepot. Make sure the bulbs say dimmable with incandescent or forward phase or leading edge dimmers.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Thank you Randy! I found this one on HD: EcoSmart 75W PAR30 Dimmable G19P30AD5DUO but Lutron doesn't have it listed as tested w/6ND; have you perhaps tried these? The adjustable temp and angle are nice, the manufacturer says to check the THD doc which shows Lutron/Maestro (doesn't say what Maestros), and the Lutron test sheet shows "Control Type: Forward and Reverse Phase Control". I wonder if Lutron doesn't bother testing newer bulbs with the older switches? I may simply buy one, hook it up to my test rig and see what happens. If it works, the advantage is that I can get them at HD in CA; not all LEDs are allowed for sale in this loony state! Thanks again Randy, you've been a great help over the years.

I have not used that specific model. Honestly I don't think the selectable color is worth the money. Every interior designer, lighting designer and architect I work with always spec 2700k-3000k. Every one. Always. The adjustable beam width is cool though.

Lutron's testing is pretty extensive. They require manufacturers to submit something like 20 bulbs in all available wattages. It is possible the 60w could test fine and the 40w not so fine. In any case, a lot of bulb manufacturers don't bother submitting bulbs.

Lutron generally tests bulbs with all of their dimmers. Since the 6ND isn't a current model they probably would not test any bulbs with it.

The Maestro MA-PRO can do forward or reverse phase. It's a bit more money but it has better electronics. If you use the Maestro you will need to replace the 3-way/4-way switches with companion dimmers.

California isn't the only one with unique laws.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

I was fixated on par30/38 bulbs but now I see this Lutron-6ND-blessed EcoSmart NB01bA07FR1-279 "retrofit" unit that just might be the answer. I never did like being able to see the bulbs in the cans.

These units are great for can replacement. Swap out/swap in, a few minutes each, 4pk for $25, 6ND works perfectly.