Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Windows 11 ARM support for Lutron Designer (or other support for Mac M1 + M2)?

Windows 11 ARM support for Lutron Designer (or other support for Mac M1 + M2)?

Lutron Designer won’t run on a Windows 11 ARM running on Parallels. Apple Silicon has been out for over 2 years now — any plans to modernize Designer? Ideally, would love to see Lutron transition to a fully browser-based system (like Ubiquiti switches) to move away from these old, dated (busted) installer systems.

Any plans to fix support — thanks!

2. Likes customelectric liked this post
    My guess is no. Software/programming is Lutron's Achilles heel. They have come a long way from the DOS based GUI of Original HomeWorks but they still tend to be years behind other manufacturers. Lutron will probably refer you to the "System Requirements" which says Windows 10 or 11.... Under the MAC section they say "Windows 10 or 11..."

A browser based system might be OK for basic configuration but I don't think I would want to program a whole system through a browser.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

4. Likes customelectric liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by randyc View Post
    Under the MAC section they say "Windows 10 or 11..."
    Unfortunately the “System Requirements” are inaccurate. They say Windows 10/11 on a Mac, but what they don’t mention is that they really mean Windows 10/11 on a 2-year-old or older Intel-based Mac… Macs have been ARM-based for over 2 years now, and it’s a bit surprising that a company of Lutron’s size, with a piece of software as straightforward as Designer haven’t bothered to update the underlying libraries necessary to compile for ARM. It’s honestly not THAT big of a lift for a tiny piece of software like Designer.

Quote Originally Posted by randyc View Post
    A browser based system might be OK for basic configuration but I don't think I would want to program a whole system through a browser.
    Well, perhaps you’re thinking about “browser based” limitations from several years ago. Modern web applications are a different beast, capable of performant 2D+3D rendering, animation, deep database management, cloud saving and backups, configuration file editing, dynamic scripting, webhooks, etc (ex: see Ubiquiti switch management, which is far more complex than Lutron devices and feature fully configurable graphic visualizations of realltime switch config and states, along with full cloud redundancy, dynamic switch and AP management, and a mind-blowing array of other features well beyond anything in Designer).

I'm running Designer on a 14" M1 (i.e., Apple silicon) MacBook Pro, Windows 11 under Parallels. It's slow, but it otherwise runs with just the usual Designer problems.

7. Thanks jdenenberg thanked for this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Boatguy View Post
    I'm running Designer on a 14" M1 (i.e., Apple silicon) MacBook Pro, Windows 11 under Parallels. It's slow, but it otherwise runs with just the usual Designer problems.
    Painfully slow. It takes 15-20 minutes to load Designer files, which is about 14-19 minutes longer than on a Windows laptop, and most of the slowdown seems to be concentrated at one or two points in the process.
    If one of the devs would look at what's going on under the hood when run in Parallels they might find that making a few minor optimizations would dramatically improve performance.

Quote Originally Posted by peter@atsnyc.net View Post
    Painfully slow. It takes 15-20 minutes to load Designer files, which is about 14-19 minutes longer than on a Windows laptop, and most of the slowdown seems to be concentrated at one or two points in the process.
    If one of the devs would look at what's going on under the hood when run in Parallels they might find that making a few minor optimizations would dramatically improve performance.
    2021 14" Macbook Pro w/M1 Max, Parallels and Windows 11.

20 sec to splash screen
    +40 sec to project list
    +2:30 to project fully loaded (65X + 12A devices)

The app is generally slow to respond while editing, but more tolerable than having to use a separate Windows machine.

To be clear, 3min 30sec from launch to being able to edit a project.