Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: PD-6WCL - Strobing lights.

PD-6WCL - Strobing lights.

Hi All,

I have 10+ Caseta dimmers in my house… none have any issue. This one 3 Way for my outside lights is causing a strobing (not a flicker) of all LED or CFL lights.

My second switch was just capped off with the 3 wires, really simple. The common wire seems to be properly connected, as it DOES work and I can control it, it just flashes.

I spoke to Lutron tech support and when I put ONE incandescent bulb in, the other 3 LEDs stopped flashing, which is crazy.

If anybody has had this happen, did you fix it? I might be better off returning this and put something else in.

help?

Lutron Technical Support
    Hello,

Strobing of LED lights with an LED-rated dimmer can be indicative of using either non-dimmable LEDs (as not all LEDs are dimmable) or incompatible LEDs with an LED dimmer. What are the makes/models of bulbs you have tested with this dimmer?

If the existing lighting load behaves properly when an incandescent bulb is added, that tells us the dimmer is outputting the proper signal and the issue is most likely due to the LED bulbs. If the same strobing behavior occurred with an incandescent bulb added, then that tells us the issue is with the output of the dimmer and the dimmer would need to be replaced.

For a list of compatible dimmable LEDs with our dimmers, please visit: lutron.com/ledfinder

That's not the issue. I have the same bulbs on the exact same Caseta dimmers that I installed at the exact same time with no issues. Your tech on the phone ruled that out. It happens with EVERY bulb that isn't an incandescent. CFL, LED, it doesn't matter. I actually went out to Home Depot and purchased some FIET bulbs, and they still strobe. It strobes with Philips CFL bulbs.

It also isn't a flicker. It's a strobe. This is important. It isn't random timing between flashes... it's almost like an emergency light, with flashes in exactly spaced timing.

I'm not sure your logic on putting the incandescent bulb = load behaving properly, when the SAME bulbs on the SAME wiring (the two new Caseta's I installed are right next to each other) and there is no issue.

Could this be a faulty dimmer? Is there a firmware to update?

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan K. View Post
    Hello,

Strobing of LED lights with an LED-rated dimmer can be indicative of using either non-dimmable LEDs (as not all LEDs are dimmable) or incompatible LEDs with an LED dimmer. What are the makes/models of bulbs you have tested with this dimmer?

If the existing lighting load behaves properly when an incandescent bulb is added, that tells us the dimmer is outputting the proper signal and the issue is most likely due to the LED bulbs. If the same strobing behavior occurred with an incandescent bulb added, then that tells us the issue is with the output of the dimmer and the dimmer would need to be replaced.

For a list of compatible dimmable LEDs with our dimmers, please visit: lutron.com/ledfinder

Lutron Technical Support
    Hi Mike,

If it were a faulty dimmer I would have expected the strobing to continue when an incandescent load was added to the circuit. Although it's certainly possible the dimmer is defective. Have you swapped locations with this dimmer and a known working PD-6WCL? This could help to narrow down if the problem is related to the location or the dimmer.

There are no individual dimmer/switch firmware updates currently in the Caseta system, only the Caseta smart hub receives pushed updates at this time. If you would like to provide the MAC address of your Caseta hub, I'd be happy to check if it is running the latest firmware.