Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Existing Home Network LAN Question

Question Existing Home Network LAN Question

All-

I'm a homeowner who is having a Lutron professional install a new RA3 system in a major reno.

That said I'm an IT professional and I manage my own home network (LAN, wifi, switches, PCs, some servers, etc.). The Lutron home automation company is not involved when it comes to the network itself: routers, switches, wifi, lan, etc.

I don't want to get in their way when it comes to my existing network and I want to avoid any compatability issues with the RA3 setup (I guess this means lutron processor/controller/repeaters or anything that needs TCP/IP functionality.)

1. On a High level, what is involved in thier work when it comes to the Lutron gear? Does it "touch" or interact with my home network other than being an IP device on the local LAN that needs internet access? As a homeowner is there anything I need to be aware of that would impact their install or setup?

2. I understand that unlike RA2, RA3 uses the 2.4 GHz band. I'm assuming this new "lutron wifi network" is broadcasted/managed by the lutron gear and has nothing to do with my current network setup?

Thank you.

1. If you have 2 main repeaters the system uses the network to communicate between them.

Activating devices is done via the app. You will need good wifi access throughout the home.

They will need to sign in to the app as a dealer. They could do this using the Internet on their phone then connect to your network (if you didn't have Internet access). They can do everything programming-wise without the Internet except enter button labels (engraving).

Lutron uses Multicast. Make sure you have it enabled at the router and all switches and access points.

2. Correct. The 2.4 devices are not associated with wifi.

RA3 can use most of the RA2 (434MHz) system. It's possible you could have all 2.4 or all 434 or a mix of both. The above notes apply to 434 devices as well.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Quote Originally Posted by randyc View Post
    1. If you have 2 main repeaters the system uses the network to communicate between them.
    OK - This makes sense - hardwired repeaters utilizing the existing home networking/LAN infrastructure.

Quote Originally Posted by randyc View Post
    Activating devices is done via the app. You will need good wifi access throughout the home.

<SNIP>

2. Correct. The 2.4 devices are not associated with wifi.
    So just to be clear the "good wifi access throughout home" is because they will be physically walking around activating devices using, say, an iOS device during install which would be on the "regular" home wifi. However, once the system is up and running the repeaters and lutron gear use their own private SSID/wifi network?

Do I have that right?

Much appreciated!

That is correct.

Once the system is running you will probably want to use the consumer app which also requires wifi.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

5. Thanks starskycane thanked for this post