Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Low dim weird behavior

Low dim weird behavior

I’m getting great low dim performance from my new RA2 select installation when i turn from off to about 10pct. I have 4 light circuits each with 4 mr16 led bulbs in each driven by 4 individual ELV transformers. The lights are dim enough at 10pct and they are evenly dim across the 4 bulbs. When I turn it on the lights flash briefly a bit brighter and then go to the dim level.

Here’s the weird part…..when the bulbs are set at 80pct and I press the pico or the Lutron app to go to the 10pct setting the lights dim but noticeably brighter at 10pct and unevenly across some bulbs. In this scenario the lights dim in what appears to be increments from the bright to the dim in about 2-3secs.

why would I get different dimming performance from off vs from a higher dim level?

Bulb - LTF Sunlight2 8w WarmDim 35* MR16
    driver - LTF12vdcB15rated60wdriver (elv)
    RRD-PRO-WH - neutral connected - tried both phases - 5 is lower dim level

14g wire runs less than 16 feet to longest run from transformer to bulb

I could not find that transformer on their webpage. All of the drivers they list are ELV (reverse phase). They also say to leave the 10v wires capped off.

The flashing could be a miswire on the dimmer. Make sure you have power in on the black terminal and out to the light on the brass. If the lights are controlled from more than 1 location, the dimmer needs to be at the end where the power goes up to the light.

The varying light levels is just a poor quality driver. All of the lights are getting the same signal. The only reason the light levels would be different is the quality of the driver.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

3. Likes Bill13 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by randyc View Post
    I could not find that transformer on their webpage. All of the drivers they list are ELV (reverse phase). They also say to leave the 10v wires capped off.

The flashing could be a miswire on the dimmer. Make sure you have power in on the black terminal and out to the light on the brass. If the lights are controlled from more than 1 location, the dimmer needs to be at the end where the power goes up to the light.

The varying light levels is just a poor quality driver. All of the lights are getting the same signal. The only reason the light levels would be different is the quality of the driver.
    These are supposedly high quality drivers and were spec’ed with the LTF LEDs and by a lighting designer that has used this combo before. I may have a sku instead of a model number but this webpage has my driver. I’m using a DC output as recommended by one of the LTF engineers.

https://ltftechnology.com/ltf-ta-te-...-transformers/

The different levels only happens when dimming from high to low and only at the lowest dim level. My driver is on the first light so perhaps the 15 feet of voltage drop causes it. I’m using 14/2 romex. I’ve confirmed wiring and it’s just a single switch per light circuit.

If I dim from low (off) to 12 pct I get perfect low dim that is consistent on all lights. That’s the weird part - why would the direction of dimming cause different out put on the lamps?

anyone know if my RA2 maestro pro dimmer is same circuitry as a regular maestro I’d get at Home Depot? If so I can try and see if I can recreate this on the bench and stick and oscilloscope on it…don’t want to do this with a $200 Ra2 dimmer though…

This occurs only when lowering the brightness from its highest setting to its lowest, and only at the lowest dim level. The 15-foot voltage drop might be the blame; my driver is on the first light. The romex I'm using is 14/2. The wiring is simple; each light circuit only needs one switch, as I've verified.
    1v1.lol unblocked

Anyone know if my RA2 maestro pro dimmer is same circuitry as a regular maestro I’d get at Home Depot? Candy Crush

While the RA2 Maestro Pro dimmer and the regular Maestro dimmer found at Home Depot share similar functionalities, there might be differences in terms of circuitry and features. The Maestro Pro series is designed for professional installations and may have additional capabilities or enhancements compared to the standard Maestro dimmers available at retail stores.

It's recommended to check the specific technical specifications and features of both dimmers or consult the product documentation to ensure compatibility and suitability for your intended use. If in doubt, contacting the manufacturer's customer support or consulting with a professional electrician could provide more precise information based on your requirements.basket random