Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Caseta Dimmer Tripping Arc Fault Breaker

Caseta Dimmer Tripping Arc Fault Breaker

I had my electrician install PD-6WCL dimmers today. It is a brand new home so it has arc fault installed. He tried to install in a wall box that was actually right behind the breaker panel. Once the dimmer was in place about 30 seconds went by and the circuit tripped. Tried another dimmer from a different batch purchased and it tripped the circuit again. Gave up and put rocker switch back. No tripping. Took the dimmers and installed them upstairs in another area and they both worked just fine. Any ideas? My thoughts were it is just too close to the breaker, but I’m not an expert in the least.

DC

Among other things, arc faults look for high frequency noise. This noise is an indication of an arc (spark) and potential fire hazard. However, most only begin testing when the load reaches 2 amps - a possible reason for the delay in tripping.

If you have lights with older or poor quality drivers/transformers they can generate noise in this range. Adding LEDs to transformers that are not rated for LEDs can generate noise.

Having multiple transformers on a circuit can exponentially increase the noise. I try to limit the number of drivers/transformers to 10 per dimmer. It may take a few seconds for the noise to build up - another possible reason for the delay in tripping.

Transformers should be loaded to at least 50% capacity. Replacing a 50w bulb with a 6w LED can cause issues.

A neutral dimmer might make the lights behave better.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

3. Likes Bill13 liked this post