Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: One PD-5WS-DV out of Five acting up

One PD-5WS-DV out of Five acting up

I have five Caseta switches around the house. One keeps going haywire and the fixture will not turn off. The system has been active for 5-6 years and the others have no issues even the ones that have the same fixture type downstream. I am assuming I need to install the load capacitor for this one fixture. In the past, resetting the switch to factory default and re-adding the device usually fixed the problem for a couple of months. Now, that does not work and the fixture stays on all the time even though the app says its off. When I hold down the off button, the LED on the switch flashes a single time in red then goes back to green. Am I on the right track to add the capacitor? Or has the switch been damaged by a power spike?

Lutron Technical Support
    Hello, the only time the PD-5WS-DV has a red LED is when it does not sense enough load. If you haven't already, install the LUT-MLC load capacitor on your light fixture for this switch, as this should help improve the function of your switch.

I finally got around to checking the fixture and there was a LUT already installed. So I replaced it along with the smart switch and now it does not work at all. The LED flashes red once and then returns to a solid green. I tested the fixture by hardwiring it to an outlet and it worked. The new switch installed on the app, but does not function. When first re-engergized the LED on the switch was a solid red, but turned green when installed on the app. Any further suggestions? Test the 60-year-old wiring for continuity?

Lutron Technical Support
    Just to confirm, 2 PD-5WS-DV switches have exhibited the same symptom on this lighting load? Can you provide the make and model of the lights? I assume we are using the PD-5WS-DV as there is no neutral in the wallbox where the switch is installed?

Yes, using the PD-5WS-DV switch. The first switch would not control the fixture and so it was constantly on. With the replacement switch it does not turn the fixture on at all. When first connected, the LED was a glowing red. After adding the switch to my HomeKit home, the switch turned to glowing green. When I press the fixture off button the LED flashes red and then goes back to solid green. The fixture is a Riga 2-light Stainless Steel LED Outdoor Wall Sconce that I purchased at Home Depot. It is a cylinder with 2 groups of LEDs. One shooting up, the other down. It is a 3000k fixture. I have three more just like it that are functioning fine. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Home-Dec...745A/207014916

Lutron Technical Support
    Assuming the LUT-MLC is properly installed between the switched leg and neutral at the fixture, I have seen rare instances where an additional capacitor is needed to control very small LED lighting loads. Are you able to test the PD-5WS-DV at another location or with an incandescent load? Although possible, it would be unlikely that two devices from two different batches are both defective.

Can I test the resistance or output somehow with a multimeter? I don't have a fixture to use as a test. Would the second LUT-MLC go in parallel or series?

Lutron Technical Support
    Unfortunately with a digital switch we would not be able to accurately test the resistance. The second LUT-MLC would wire in parallel.

If the goal is to increase resistance, then shouldn't the LUT-MLC be is series?