Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 3-way switch installation assistance needed

3-way switch installation assistance needed

Hello -

I've got a number of 3-way switches in my house and have successfully upgraded all but one using the Lutron P-PKG1W-WH-R Caseta Wireless Smart Lighting Dimmer Switch and Remote Kit.

I'm a bit stumped here because I've followed the instructions carefully, and as I mentioned had no issues with the previous installs.

Location #1 has all three wires spliced together and capped. Location #2 is hooked up with the common wire attached separately to one of the dimmer wires and the other 2 wires from the wall connected to the remaining dimmer wire.

The light comes on, but I am unable to dim or turn off/on with the switch. I thought I possibly had the wrong common wire and swapped it and it made no difference. I also attempted to swap the locations of the dimmer switch and the pico remote to the same results.

Location #2's other switch is the secondary location of a different 3-way switch and clearly there are some connected/capped wires in that box. It's my suspicion that I need to somehow integrate one of those wires into the dimmer wiring? Could be wrong though. Maybe I just need to hire an electrician...

Thanks for any advice!

Location #1
    https://i.imgur.com/T4kTvfp.jpg

Location #2
    https://i.imgur.com/u5MLPBp.jpg
    Last edited by jwarkel; 04-09-2023 at 12:25 PM. Reason: fix links

Make sure the black and white you have connected at location 2 are the black and white from location one. Make sure there are no other switches in between these 2 (4-ways).

The white in this case is not a neutral/common. Make sure you don't connect it to other neutrals in the boxes.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Thanks for the reply. There are only two switches that controlled this light. Also I verified the black and white line up as you mention. Seems odd though that location 1 has a red wire while location 2 doesn't (at least not connected to the original switch)?

In a standard 3-way power comes in at one end (common terminal) and goes through one of the 2 travelers to the other end, then out to the light (switch leg). In some cases the switch leg and power are at the same end (i.e. in the same box). The electrician will relay the power or the switch leg to the other end using one of the conductors of the 3-wire.

Since you are not putting a switch at one end you can undo it. One of the conductors in the 3-wire should have another wire connected to it. It may be tied in with other hot wires or may be just a single black wire. If it is tied in with the hots just add your dimmer to the hots. If it is the switch leg, disconnect it and add it to the switch.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com