Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Another google home not working with Lutron

Another google home not working with Lutron

Like others lately, I am having issues with Google home and Caseta. I have Caseta switches controlling the lights in seven basement rooms and one in my office upstairs. All the basement rooms are grouped in the Lutron app under the basement like Basement -> bedroom. Until today I could say to my google home "turn off the basement lights" and the google home would respond by saying 'turning off seven lights' and all the lights would go off. Today when doing the same thing it only says 'turning off basement bedroom light' and only that light goes off. My Lutron app is working normally both on and off the wifi.

Looking in the google home app on my phone, it only shows the basement bedroom light listed under basement. The other lights are down lower on the screen but not grouped under basement, thought they have basement in their name. If I specifically ask it to turn off one of the other rooms like basement gym, google home does turn off that rooms lights but I can no longer ask it to turn off all the basement lights at once.

My son also has a google home in his upstairs bedroom and has a bunch of Phillips Hue lights, but no Lutron devices. He has those grouped under bedroom (not basement bedroom) in the google home app. When he says google turn off the bedroom lights, it used to turn off all his Hue lights, now it just says 'Lutron not available' and no lights turn off. So somehow it thinks he is trying to turn off the basement bedroom instead of his bedroom.

Given that my son's google home isn't controlling his Hue lights correctly it seems like an issue with google home. I have tried resetting all google devices, the Lutron hub, as well as all routers, cable modem etc. but there was no difference. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Lutron Technical Support
    Quote Originally Posted by djarchow View Post
    Looking in the google home app on my phone, it only shows the basement bedroom light listed under basement. The other lights are down lower on the screen but not grouped under basement, thought they have basement in their name. If I specifically ask it to turn off one of the other rooms like basement gym, google home does turn off that rooms lights but I can no longer ask it to turn off all the basement lights at once.
    Have you attempted to edit/rename the devices that have basement in their name so that they will display within the basement group? It sounds like Google Home may no longer be properly understanding/executing the command as it sees two basements (the group and the devices which have basement in their name). I have seen similar issues with Alexa and naming conventions of devices/rooms/groups.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan K. View Post
    Have you attempted to edit/rename the devices that have basement in their name so that they will display within the basement group? It sounds like Google Home may no longer be properly understanding/executing the command as it sees two basements (the group and the devices which have basement in their name). I have seen similar issues with Alexa and naming conventions of devices/rooms/groups.
    Jonathon,

Thanks for the reply. In the Caseta app, all the rooms show as under the basement group, spelling etc. is all the same. All the rooms are named the same way as the one (bedroom) that does show up under the basement group in the Google Home app. So I am not sure what to change.

What is even weirder today, is in the Home app, the other basement rooms, don't even show up in the app now as local devices; only the bedroom is shown. When I go to the 'Add' screen where I would add new devices, and select 'Works with Google', Lutron is listed and shows the service is linked and there are 7 devices. I tried unlinking the service and relinking it but the only device that got added back to my home was the bedroom that was there before.

Thanks again for your help.

Lutron Technical Support
    I would like to look into this issue further. Can you submit support logs to our technical support team from your Lutron app while connected to the same Wi-Fi network as your Caseta hub?

In the Lutron app, go to Settings > Help > Submit Support Logs. Complete the section asking what type of issue you are having and provide as much detail as possible. Please include timestamps if possible.

Jonathon,

Thanks. I sent it. Not sure if there was supposed to be an attachment or not. Looks like just the text I typed, a mac address, and an internal support file indicator.

As a follow up for others who may have the same issue. Jonathan from Lutron reached out to me and asked me to submit some logs, which I did. He also asked me to unlink my Lutron devices from my Google Home app and relink them to another user ID and different google home to help further debug the problem.

At first, I wasn't able to completely unlink the Lutron system from the Home app. I unlinked and it said it was successful, but the dimmers still showed up in the Home app in the same spots before I unlinked. I tried it a couple more times and eventually it removed them. I am not sure if this was due to my unlinking multiple times, or it just took time for it to be reflected in the app. I was going to have my son link the lights to his Galaxy Fold as he is the only other Android user in the house. He is running a beta version of the Home app and it wouldn't link to Lutron, his Hue lights, or his smart switches.

So, I wasn't able to do what Jonathon had suggested. However, a couple days after I had finally gotten the Home app to unlink Lutron, I relinked and my proper basement room groupings are back and working correctly. I did see some comments for the home App in the google play store that people said groupings of devices (speakers, displays, cameras) for rooms were broken in the latest version of the app. So, this is probably just another example of shoddy google software.

Thanks again to Jonathon and the Lutron team for reaching out to me.

7. Likes Bill13 liked this post
    I am having the same issue. The Lutron caseta switches all work when controlled by the Google Home app but only certain lights assigned to each room will respond to verbal commands, aimed at controlling the entire room, via Google Assistant. When I create a custom voice command to turn on or turn off all switches assigned to a particular room, that voice command works. Google assistant users never had to do this in the past, as it requires the creation of many custom commands. I assume this is an issue with Google Home/Google Assistant and not Lutron as it has just recently been a problem. Is Lutron support able to report this to Google on our behalf?

I discovered that voice controls work with the addition of the the word “ALL” (e.g. turn off ALL basement lights”).

Lutron Technical Support
    Sorry to hear you're experiencing the same issue. If you could send in support logs from the Lutron app, I'd be happy to forward this request to our engineering team. In order to get the bridge logs that we need, please follow the steps below:- Make sure your smartphone is connected to the same Wi-Fi network as the Caseta hub.
    - In the Lutron app, go to Settings > Help > Submit Support Logs.
    - Complete the section asking what type of issue you are having and provide as much detail as possible, please also include timestamps as to when the issue occurred.
    - Lastly, after selecting "Send Support Request Email", when the email with the logs appears please ensure the support file or file identifier is included in the email. For Android users please make sure the Support file is attached to the email when you send it. For iOS users an Internal Support File Identifier will be listed and no attachments will be displayed.