Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: LED Lightstrips with Caseta Plug-In Dimmer

LED Lightstrips with Caseta Plug-In Dimmer

Has anyone had any success using LED light strips with the Caseta plug-in dimmer? Thinking it would work as long as I disabled the dimming capability and use the plug-in dimmer as a simple on off switch. Want to do some cubby hole lighting of four cubbys in a hutch. Don't need dimming capability, but I am looking to achieve HomeKit integration. I looked at the Phillips hue lightstrips, but I'd need to buy four of those at $90 each and it would create a wiring nightmare as each strip requires a separate transformer. Any reason I couldn't use something like this?:

http://www.amazon.com/HitLights-Ecli...t_sims?ie=UTF8

Obviously I'd have to control the color with the remote, but that should give me Siri control of the on/off capability with HomeKit.

Anyone have any experience with something like this with Caseta? Thanks.

No direct help here, sorry, other than what i looked into when i was considering this.

I was considering the OSRAM Lightify strips. Worked off zigbee which was a bonus as I was thinking about getting a hub to connect Lutron to Amazon Echo (have since done this).

Bonus to me of the Osram strips were zigbee, smartphone app (vs hard remote that gets misplaced).

And if I was then to plug it into the caseta plug in, i would then be able to use a pico remote attached to a wall or something.

As i said, I never got a chance to implement it, so no idea if it would have been successful, but it was cheaper than Philips Hue, has connectors that allow you to connect strips together from a couple feet away (not sure how far each of your strips will be apart.

Also, I thought Hue came out with updated strips that could be connected as one instead of needing individual transformers, but have not looked at them in detail since our needs changed.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by adams View Post
    No direct help here, sorry, other than what i looked into when i was considering this.

I was considering the OSRAM Lightify strips. Worked off zigbee which was a bonus as I was thinking about getting a hub to connect Lutron to Amazon Echo (have since done this).

Bonus to me of the Osram strips were zigbee, smartphone app (vs hard remote that gets misplaced).

And if I was then to plug it into the caseta plug in, i would then be able to use a pico remote attached to a wall or something.

As i said, I never got a chance to implement it, so no idea if it would have been successful, but it was cheaper than Philips Hue, has connectors that allow you to connect strips together from a couple feet away (not sure how far each of your strips will be apart.

Also, I thought Hue came out with updated strips that could be connected as one instead of needing individual transformers, but have not looked at them in detail since our needs changed.

Good luck.
    Thanks for your input. The updated hue Lightstrips, known as Lightstrips Plus, are capable of being joined in a single line (up to 10 m, I believe), but you cannot run multiple strips off the same transformer in different locations as with the one I linked from Amazon. Otherwise I would go with the hue for its build quality and superior light output as it now does more natural white.

Cheers.