Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Some lights in the house say they are on when they are in fact off

Some lights in the house say they are on when they are in fact off

Have a client complaining that some of the lights on the app are giving him the incorrect feedback. For him especially it's a big issue because he is not very mobile. This is a small condo so I'm pretty sure everything is within 30 feet and there is a lot of open space so I don't think it's a distance issue. Is it as simple as plugging and unplugging the bridge or is it more involved? I've googled around and there seem to be quite a few complaints about it without much solution given.

Rebooting the hub won't hurt. I'd also make sure his app is up to date.

Lutron doesn't do true feedback. They send the command 3600 times and assume the device responded correctly. I know you looked at the distance but try moving the hub around. Sometimes moving it a foot can help. There may be something blocking the signal. Ducts, fridge, tv, etc.

I'd try a repeater and see if it helps.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Lutron Technical Support
    Hello,

What randyc has already mentioned are good troubleshooting steps. I agree that power-cycling won't hurt and confirming the app is up to date is always solid advice. Also, moving the hub 5 or so feet closer (typically with a longer ethernet cable) isn't a bad idea.

Typically the issue is RF signal range, or interference, when the app shows a different status than the light that the switch/dimmer is controlling. This behavior indicates that the app recognized the hub sent out a command to alter the switch/dimmer but the device didn't receive it. As randy mentioned, there is no "call and response" with Caséta devices. The command is sent out as a one-way blast. I would test the connection strength by moving the hub closer or adding a PD-3PCL or PD-REP to the system to boost the RF signal.

Leaving this here for future generations of people googling this! The issue was in fact signal related. I still think they were within 30 feet, but right on the edge ~28-32 feet maybe but this is a high-rise condo and it has steel boxes a long with steel framing and concrete structure. The signal from the bridge didn't have a problem reaching the dimmer and the switch - even if the app had the wrong state of the switch, tapping the devices on the app would turn them on and off. If however I went to the dimmer itself and changed the level or turned it off, the feedback would not reach the bridge or only do it part of the time.

I'm assuming that if a dimmer's state is changed, it also blasts a signal back to the bridge? Is it the same 3600 times?

I put in a PD-REP-WH in the room (about 20 feet from the bridge) and it seems to have solved the issue...I hope...

It's been awhile since I have seen or heard the spec so the 3600 may not be accurate.

I've always assumed they use the same radio in all of the non-repeater devices. I believe the dimmers also transmit for 6 seconds so it should be the same 3600 times.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com