Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: New PD-FSQN Install

New PD-FSQN Install

Hello everyone!

First time PD-FSQN installation. Also new fan installation (AC motor model with no light fixture). New switch box has two 14/2 lines coming in, one from the house and one from the fan.

Everything looks good, but when turning the circuit on I get no action from the fan controller. No lights, no fan movement.

Ive tripled checked the wiring to the switch:
    • Switch green to ground from both incoming lines
    • Hot (black) line from fan attached to screw terminal on fan controller
    • Switch white to both neutrals
    • Switch yellow to load (black) coming from house line

With switch out of the wall and circuit hot I can confirm the switch yellow and white are hot with electricity, confirmed by my tester. So I have power to the switch.

What am I missing? I realize its also a new fan and its possible the fan is DOA - but I would have expected at least a light on the PD-FSQN. Ideas?

Thanks everyone - Mark

Lutron Technical Support
    Hello,

Aside from a defective fan or controller out of the box, one possibility is that the line and load wires are swapped on the PD-FSQN. Have you tried swapping the wires that are attached to the yellow wire and black screw terminal on the fan control? Also, if you bypass the fan controller and wire the fan directly to hot does it turn on?

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan K. View Post
    Hello,

Aside from a defective fan or controller out of the box, one possibility is that the line and load wires are swapped on the PD-FSQN. Have you tried swapping the wires that are attached to the yellow wire and black screw terminal on the fan control? Also, if you bypass the fan controller and wire the fan directly to hot does it turn on?
    Thanks for the reply Jonathan.

Ill try swapping them - I saw that in the instruction troubleshooting area but given its a new installation and I had just run the wires its pretty clear which is which.

This may be the key - the fan came with an inwall super simple switch that has a slider that clicks up and down for the speeds on the fan. I swapped to that switch and fan operates correctly. I did some reading last night and found some references to only fans with pull strings will work - but given the simplicity of this setup I made the leap the Lutron switch would be ok. Was I incorrect?

Lutron Technical Support
    Hello, Fans with pull chains do work the best but other fans can work with it too. You can find all of our fan suggestions for the PD-FSQN here at: https://support.lutron.com/us/en/pro...th-the-PD-FSQN.

Quote Originally Posted by Freddy G. View Post
    Hello, Fans with pull chains do work the best but other fans can work with it too. You can find all of our fan suggestions for the PD-FSQN here at: https://support.lutron.com/us/en/pro...th-the-PD-FSQN.
    Thanks for this. Going through the list I think I'm meeting every requirement. Here is the fan Ive installed: Minka Group® :: BRANDS :: Minka-Aire® :: F624-ABD

The fan admittedly does not have a pull chain, so perhaps thats where Im doomed.

Amps are good, no canopy module, no (wireless) remote, AC motor, one fan.

Ill start looking for other options at this point - if anyone has any other ideas please comment!

Thanks all - Mark