Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: What Dimmer Switch - Bathroom Light + Fan

What Dimmer Switch - Bathroom Light + Fan

Hi All,

In the process of upgrading my ceiling light in my master bathroom. The light is attached to the bathroom fan and is currently on a regular light switch. I want to put them on a Lutron switch but I've been warned by a contractor and a buddy that I might run into various problems including:

1) overheating of the switch itself if I don't get the right one;

2) humming or other noises coming from the fan.

Is there any truth to the above and what Dimmer should I get to minimize or eliminate the risk ?

Thanks 👍

2. Thanks K-n-C thanked for this post
    Most exhaust fan motors are not designed for speed control. Putting a dimmer on it may reduce the speed of the fan. As your friend noted it may hum and it will definitely reduce the life of the motor.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

4. Likes K-n-C liked this post

PD-5WS-DV-WH for Bathroom Fan/Lights and Bedroom Ceiling Fan/Lights

@randyc I have a similar situation with an added complexity of having a 1950s house with no grounding or neutrals in the switch boxes, and lathe and plaster walls... I would have to destroy the walls to rewire and one of my bathrooms only has about a foot of attic space above it, so rewiring is not a reasonable solution. I have used PD-6WCL-WH/pico 3-way switches throughout the house, and I managed to get a neutral in one of my bathrooms and used a PD-6ANS-WH for a vanity lighting/bathroom exhaust fan. I have decided that on/off functionality is fine for the bathrooms, so I plan to give up on the dimmer idea...

1.) I read in another post that I can use a PD-5WS-DV-WH in the 2 bathrooms that I do not have Neutrals in? Do they require ground or can I just wire the line and load to get them working?

2.) Also, will the PD-5WS-DV-WH work for bedroom pull-chain type ceiling fan/light combo units, again with no neutral or ground at the switch box? I have converted everything to 8.5W LEDs and I can't imagine the fans using more than 3amps, but I still have to check.

Let me know your thoughts on the 2 scenarios above.

For those interested, I have successfully accomplished #1 above... My bathroom light/fan circuits are successfully being controlled with the PD-5WS-DVs without a ground or neutral (Just the line and load wired). I am waiting for my next batch of switches to attempt the ceiling fans (BTW:I have verified all the fans in the house use between .42-.83 amps.).