Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Pico PJ2-3BRL Remotes Not Working Following Power Outage

Pico PJ2-3BRL Remotes Not Working Following Power Outage

Note that I was able to resolve this issue, but I'd like to know if it will occur again in the future.

My question is: was the communication breakdown between the pico and diva (described below) a known response of the pico remotes to diva power cycling? Am I going to need to reset and reconnect my picos every time I lose power, or was this likely only due to cycling my picos on a generator many times over days?

I currently have 3 Pico PJ2-3BRL remotes controlling 3 separate Diva smart dimmer switches, all connected and functioning properly through a caseta bridge on the Lutron app (in addition to a few other divas without associated picos). Recently we had an extended power outage during which the power was cycled many times over 5 days (generator being connected/disconnected). I am unsure at what point the picos ceased functioning properly, but following restoration of normal power I noted that the picos no longer controlled the divas at all. Pressing buttons on the picos would show the normal pico indicator light blinking, but the associated house lights would not respond. Weirdly, the Lutron app would also register the button pressed (e.g., pressing off on the pico would result in the app showing the room lights turned off, but there would not be any actual change in the room lights). The Diva switches themselves worked properly - both physically and using the app. Additionally, selecting the associated pico switch in the app and operating it there would result in proper light response, but I suspect the app does not actually request the pico to do anything and goes straight to the associated diva.

To troubleshoot, I first cycled the bridge. No change. Second, I pulled the FASS for 10 seconds on the associated diva and replaced. No change. I then attempted the pairing process with the pico and its associated diva again (off button on each for >6 seconds). No change. The issue resolved itself when I instead unpaired the Pico and then paired it (pico 3 quick off buttons, hold off for >6 seconds, then follow the normal pairing process with associated diva).

Lutron has some crazy spec like 10 years on power failure memory. I'd be more comfortable saying 2 years.

Your situation is odd in that it appears the Pico(s) lost communication. Even more odd is the Pico(s) are battery powered.

Picos can talk directly to a dimmer or through a system, but not both. If you paired the Pico outside of Caseta and then added them to Caseta they may have gotten confused about what system they were part of. That's a huge stretch but it's the only thing I can think of.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Lutron Technical Support
    Hello,

Because the Pico's are battery operated the generator has no direct affect on the Pico remotes. What's plausible is the constant cycling of power to the Diva smart dimmers may have caused an issue with the power failure memory of the dimmers, and by factory defaulting and pairing the devices back together that resolved the issue. It's also worth noting the Pico's didn't stop functioning as pressing a button on the Pico registered a command from the Lutron app. When a Pico is paired into a system via a smart hub/processor the command gets sent from the Pico to the hub and then from the hub to the load controller. The hub appeared to be recognizing the command as it would change the status of the dimmer in the Lutron app.

I am glad you were able to ultimately resolve the issue. I would be curious if deleting the Pico remote from the app and pairing it back into the system (to the appropriate Diva dimmer) would also have resolved the issue. I suspect your issue is more of a one off than a standard occurrence as the power failure memory tends to work quite well and it seems this had more to do with the multiple cycles over a short period of time. If you notice this issue arises again please submit a support log to our technical support team via the Lutron app by tapping on Settings > Help > Submit Support Logs and following the prompts on the screen. Be sure to be connected to the same Wi-Fi network as your smart hub so we can get all the required information from the hub to be able to further troubleshoot the issue.

4. Likes randyc liked this post
    Thank you both for the replies. It does seem likely that this was a one-off occurrence and I appreciate hearing reinforcement on that idea!

I did solely pair the Picos to the Divas outside the app. After doing that, I did note that each Pico was automatically added in the app as an "Unnamed Pico Remote" without a room assignment (would be cooler if the app automatically recognized what Diva the Pico was paired with, but I'm not complaining). If the issue occurs again, I will attempt to unpair within the app and re-pair to see if that works, as suggested. But here's to hoping I don't have an extended/complicated power outage again :)

Thanks again!