Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Can I do what I'm planning with multiple dimmers and PICO remotes?

Question Can I do what I'm planning with multiple dimmers and PICO remotes?

Hello!

I'm interested in doing something that appears to be a bit more complex than the installation guides address. Here is a simplified example of what I want to do:

Three Caseta dimmers controlling the power on circuits 1, 2, and 3.

Three separate PICO remotes:
    PICO 1: controls dimmers on circuits 1 and 2, both at once
    PICO 2: controls dimmers on circuits 1, 2, and 3, all at once
    PICO 3: controls dimmers on circuits 2 and 3, both at once.

In other words, I want to have multiple PICOs controlling multiple Caseta dimmers, with each dimmer controlled by more than one PICO.

I do not expect more than one PICO to be trying to change settings at the same time.

Can I do this? If so, how would dimming behave? I saw in some places online that a more complicated setup could only switch multiple dimmers on and off, but it's not clear to me that that is actually true (or may be old information), based on product documentation.

There will be no smart hub or phone apps; I plan to use just the dimmers and the PICO remotes. I have no need for scenes - I just want to group dimmer control differently with each PICO, with overlap but not with all the same dimmers controlled by each PICO.

Thank you so much for your help!

ClaudiaH

Lutron Technical Support
    Hello

Yes you can do this! After you wired in your main dimmers, follow Section (2): Stand Alone pairing of the Pico remote . You can pair the pico up to multiple dimmers by completing section 2 on the controls you want that pico to control.

The pico will control the devices its linked to at the same time. So if you raise or lower the brightness all lights that are paired to the remote will follow.

Quote Originally Posted by Freddy G. View Post
    Hello

Yes you can do this! After you wired in your main dimmers, follow Section (2): Stand Alone pairing of the Pico remote . You can pair the pico up to multiple dimmers by completing section 2 on the controls you want that pico to control.

The pico will control the devices its linked to at the same time. So if you raise or lower the brightness all lights that are paired to the remote will follow.
    Thanks, Freddy! It looks like you only addressed one part of my question, though. I want each Pico to control multiple dimmers, but also for each dimmer to be controlled by multiple Picos! (without using a hub) It appears that I CAN do both simultaneously, but in the documentation I have studied, I only see either "multiple dimmers paired with a Pico" OR "one Pico controls multiple dimmers", but never both addressed together, with the same dimmers involved for both types of control. I'd like to ensure that there are no hidden "gotchas" here....

Thanks again!

Claudia

Lutron Technical Support
    Hello Claudia,
    Just to clarify, there are no hidden gotchas here! You will be able to pair your Picos to your dimmers in the configuration described in your initial post. You will just need to pair each Pico one by one to each dimmer, first putting the dimmer into pairing mode again before each remote.

If you need any further assistance getting these all paired up, feel free to reach out to our 24/7 Tech Support Team @ 1-888-Lutron1 (1-888-588-7661) or at support@lutron.com!

Thanks, Kenneth! I much appreciate the clarification.

Claudia