Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: flickering under counter strip LEDs

flickering under counter strip LEDs

I have a kitchen installation with Lutron DV600P Diva dimmer switches. Worked fine for years with "eW Profile Powercore LED strip under counter lights (Compatible with ELV dimmers) until I replaced the upper cabinet halogen bulbs with 12v 3w 300 lumen ceiling recessed lights. When I made the change I also used a 12v 20w power supply triac dimmable. I hate to take the shotgun approach and just replace the Lutron dimmer. I replaced the halogen lights because they generated so much heat and burned out constantly and I got tired of replacing them.
    If anyone has read my run-on rambling and knows a solution I would love to hear it.
    Thanks,
    John Williams
    Alameda, CA

Lutron Technical Support
    Hi,

The DV-600P is only rated for line voltage incandescent or halogen lighting load and is not rated for any kind of low voltage lighting loads. Would you be able to provide us with the model of the transformer or driver that's being used? Also any information on the LED strip lights that you are using would also be useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Garrett S. View Post
    Hi,

The DV-600P is only rated for line voltage incandescent or halogen lighting load and is not rated for any kind of low voltage lighting loads. Would you be able to provide us with the model of the transformer or driver that's being used? Also any information on the LED strip lights that you are using would also be useful.
    Thanks for replying.
    The Triac transformer was purchased on line from Amazon (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1)
    This is the description:
    12V 20W Power Supply, Triac Dimmable Constant Voltage LED Driver, 110V AC to 12V DC Transformer Compatible with Standard Wall Dimmers for Under Cabinet LED Strip Lights

About this item

• >12v dimmable transformer Compatible with standard triac wall dimmers (including Lutron, Leviton, and other standard household wall dimmers). Compatible with forward and reverse phase dimmers.
    • > High Quality and Safety: The 12V 20 watt triac dimmable transformer has overcurrent protection, and eliminates problems with buzzing and overheating.
    • >The 12v dc dimmable power supply providing a standard US power plug, and it could be cut off by electrician to be hardwired, convenient to use for most of LED strip lights.
    • >DC 12V dimmable adapter widely use for 12v under cabinet led light kit,under counter lighting, led light bar, led strip lights or other 12v led lights.
    • > Max Wattage for dimmable power supply: Input voltage 100-240 V AC, Output voltage 12 V DC, Max Wattage for under counter led lighting must not exceed 20W.

The under counter LED strips are: eW Profile Powercore Compatible with ELV dimmers #523-000027-XX. They are on the same circuit with the upper cabinet recessed LEDs (3 each) with the triac transformer.
    Everything worked well dimming with the Lutron DV600P until I swapped the halogen lights out for the 12 volt LED recessed fixtures.
    Now it will usually flicker for a while then come on steady, other times they will flicker seemingly endlessly, or flicker intermittently.
    If you can make a recommendation for the correct Lutron switch I'd would appreciate it. Also if I need to replace the triac transformer and recessed LEDs I'm up for that as well. Just not sure what to purchase.
    Thanks,
    John Williams

Lutron Technical Support
    Hello John. Your best bet would probably be the MA-PRO dimmer as this dimmer is rated for LEDs and low voltage lights. It is a phase selectable dimmer which means it can be programmed to work in forward or reverse phase.

Fixed..

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle L. View Post
    Hello John. Your best bet would probably be the MA-PRO dimmer as this dimmer is rated for LEDs and low voltage lights. It is a phase selectable dimmer which means it can be programmed to work in forward or reverse phase.
    I replaced the switch with a Maestro LED+. **** there's a lot of Lutron switches to choose from.
    Thanks for the help,
    John Williams
    Alameda, CA