Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Any RA3 no neutral dimmer support?

Any RA3 no neutral dimmer support?

I have a recessed low voltage fixture in my ceiling and the existing wall controls, dimmer/three-way switch, are run as a switch leg with only the hots and travelers in the wall accessible box. Is there any way to use RA3 for this configuration?

Answering my own question, luckily the fixture is a MLV fixture. I couldn’t find a RA3 no neutral but the RRD-6D works. Very happy that the RA3 processor is backwards compatible with RA2

The Pro does not need a neutral to work but it will increase the minimium wattage requirement, I think to 60 watts.

4. Thanks Rbeachra thanked for this post
    RRST-PRO-N - which is the Sunnata series, DOES require a neutral. The Maestro RRD-Pro does not.

RRD-6D IS an MLV dimmer that doesn't require a neutral, but from experience I can tell you that it does not really like to have LED Lights on it. Depending on the magnetic transformer, it can either work OK, or make a loud thumping sound and put the transformer in saturation and destroy it and/or the dimmer. Also, the CL dimmers that replaced the 6D dimmers as the standard dimmer are not MLV compatible. I know of a house where they had to replace all the CL dimmers (70 or so) to 6ND dimmers. Since the Pro dimmers without the optional Neutral are essentially CL dimmers, they're not made for MLV either.

7. Thanks Rbeachra thanked for this post
    Quote Originally Posted by SparkyCoog View Post
    RRD-6D IS an MLV dimmer that doesn't require a neutral, but from experience I can tell you that it does not really like to have LED Lights on it. Depending on the magnetic transformer, it can either work OK, or make a loud thumping sound and put the transformer in saturation and destroy it and/or the dimmer. Also, the CL dimmers that replaced the 6D dimmers as the standard dimmer are not MLV compatible. I know of a house where they had to replace all the CL dimmers (70 or so) to 6ND dimmers. Since the Pro dimmers without the optional Neutral are essentially CL dimmers, they're not made for MLV either.
    Sparky, thanks for the insight. I must have dodged a bullet; I’m using the RRD-6D with a MLV transformer and LED bulb without issue.