Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Dimming Module?

Dimming Module?

I need to dim a load in an RA3 system without adding a new dimmer (no client desire to junk up the wall). Will the 10 V dimming module allow this for a regular, mains-dimmed load? Or does that only dim the special 10 V fixtures? Is there a different dimming module for regular fixtures?

I think you need the LMJ-5T-DV-B. They have been backordered for almost a year, not sure what the lead time is now.

Will that work?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill13 View Post
    I think you need the LMJ-5T-DV-B. They have been backordered for almost a year, not sure what the lead time is now.
    Thanks Bill. That’s the 0-10V module. Have you used them to dim standard, mains-dimmed loads?

It only works with LED or fluorescent fixtures that support 0-10 volt dimming. See RF Dimming Module with 0–10 V Control SPEC (369806) (lutron.com)

Quote Originally Posted by scruzguy View Post
    It only works with LED or fluorescent fixtures that support 0-10 volt dimming. See RF Dimming Module with 0–10 V Control SPEC (369806) (lutron.com)
    Thank you. That’s what I had inferred from the docs but was hoping it might also dim mains (how hard would it be?!). So there’s no module for a regular old light?

Regular dimmer or LMJ module, you still need to mount it somewhere. The LMJ has a max temperature rating of 104F. I know my attic is hotter than that in the summer. I think it's really designed to be installed in return air plenums/suspended ceilings where the temperature is lower. Do you have a closet close to the load where you could hide a standard RRD-PRO? I've done that in bedrooms that have a ceiling fan with a light along with some recessed lighting. At the bedroom door there is a two-gang box that holds a hybrid keypad to control the recessed lights and RRD-2ANF to control the fan. The fan light is controlled by an RRD-PRO hidden in the closet. The keypad is programmed to control both the recessed lights and the fan light. If someone at a later date wants to replace the fan with a light fixture or a fan without a light, the wiring is there and it's just a matter of replacing some devices and a little programming.