Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Help with Caséta Plug-In Lamp Dimmer - PD-3PCL in switch mode

Help with Caséta Plug-In Lamp Dimmer - PD-3PCL in switch mode

I am having difficulty controlling holiday lights with a Caséta Plug-In Lamp Dimmer PD-3PCL. I don't need dimming on the holiday lights so I always put the PD-3PCL in switch mode to help eliminate issues with non-dimmable loads. However, I'm still having issues with some of the lights. Specifically, when turned off, I have some lights that will blink on every 3 to 5 seconds. Some questions about the PD-3PCL to help me debug:

1. Is there an easy way to check if the PD-3PCL is acting as a dimmer or switch other than carrying around a lamp that I know is dimmable, plugging that in, and trying the dimming function? It would be a lot more convenient if there was a way to tell from the app if a PD-3PCL was set to switch and not dimmer.

2. Even in switch mode, the lights will blink every 3 to 5 seconds. This makes me think that switch mode is not really a switch. Or that the PD-3PCL requires a load and is running a small amount of power through the load even when off. Does the PD-3PCL function like a 2-wire switch and need a load to run current through?

In the past I have used generic WiFi or Z-Wave controled plug-in switches, but I was hoping to move everything to Caseta so I could go to one app. Is the PD-3PCL the only option for that with Caseta? You'd think there would be a simple plug-in switch.

Thanks.

Lutron Technical Support
    Hello lmaugustin,

Please see the answers to your questions below:
    1. The PD-3PCL, unfortunately, does not have a way to inform the user it is in switch mode from the app or unit. When in switch mode, the raise/lower buttons will be disabled which can be used as an identifiable feature.
    2. You are correct, the PD-3PCL may still output to the lights when in the off state. Please try plugging more load into the unit to see if this helps stabilize it. You can even try plugging in an iPhone or Android charging brick into the other plug to test.
    3. For holiday lights, we recommend utilizing our Outdoor Plug (PD-15OUT-BL). This will perform as a proper relay and switch those nondimmable lights more effectively.
    Last edited by Brandon W.; 11-14-2023 at 05:18 PM.

Thank you for the response. The best solution for me seems to be switching to the Outdoor Plug (PD-15OUT-BL) so that I get a true on/off relay.