Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Lights work and then do not with Lutron Maestro

Lights work and then do not with Lutron Maestro

I just bought and installed the Lutron Maestro kit with companion dimmer for my foyer light. One switch for the top of the staircase and one for the bottom. when I hook everything up, the lights work for a few moments and then stop working. I continue to get the LED indicator on the master switch working but no light output from the foyer lights. The foyer lights are Cree 60 watt equilvalents that run 9.5 volts per bulb. There are 12 bulbs.

As for wiring, I have the companion at the top of the stairs where the lighting load is. The white is tied into the other white wires in the junction box, while the black is going to the black lug on the companion dimmer. This leaves me with the two carrier wires that go down to the bottom of the step (red and black). I put red to the blue lug and black to the gold lug, green to ground. The white wire that goes down to the master switch is live as it is tied in to the other black live wires in the junction. At the bottom of the step, I have the white (line) going to the black lug with the red carrier going to the blue nut and the black carrier going to gold nut, and green to ground.

Im hoping I missed something and someone can help. Sorry for the long post. I wanted to give as much detail as possible. Oh yeah. My bulbs are on the compatible list.

Thanks,

Dave

Dave-
    Try reversing the dimmer and the companion. The dimmer should always be on the side with the load- in this case- at the top of your stairs.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

I have a similar problem. I did install the dinner at the feed and the companion dimmer at the load end.
    The master dimmer works perfectly but not the companion dimmer. At the companion dimmer, the lights come on when I hold down the switch then off when I let go. Does this sound like a familiar problem of the system?

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by SammyChin View Post
    I have a similar problem. I did install the dinner at the feed and the companion dimmer at the load end.
    The master dimmer works perfectly but not the companion dimmer. At the companion dimmer, the lights come on when I hold down the switch then off when I let go. Does this sound like a familiar problem of the system?
    SammyChin,

It seems that your Master Dimmer is programmed to work with a mechanical switch. You need to program it so that it knows there is a companion unit on the other end. Goto: http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocum...h_a_dimmer.pdf and see Step 9 on the second page. On the second part where it tells you to go to IL1 switch yours to IL4 by hitting the Raise Rocker to move it.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Joe M. View Post
    SammyChin,

It seems that your Master Dimmer is programmed to work with a mechanical switch. You need to program it so that it knows there is a companion unit on the other end. Goto: http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocum...h_a_dimmer.pdf and see Step 9 on the second page. On the second part where it tells you to go to IL1 switch yours to IL4 by hitting the Raise Rocker to move it.
    It works as per your instruction. Thanks