Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Is Lutron Caseta Right for Me?

Is Lutron Caseta Right for Me?

I am looking to automate all the lighting in my house but have some questions...My house is not that large but it is three stories and made entirely of brick/concrete. I do have excellent Wifi coverage throughout (UniFi POE WAPs on each floor) so I'm not sure how Lutron would work in my situation. Would I have to put Lutron repeaters on every floor and/or every room?

My understanding is Lutron uses its own proprietary communication technology, but can it work in conjunction with Google home and be controlled via Wifi that way? or can it only be controlled through direct communication with the Lutron hub/Lutron repeaters?

I'm just not clear on how the system works. Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Lutron Technical Support
    Hello, yes our devices use Lutron Clear Connect (https://lutron.com/clearconnect) and only our hubs and rf accessories can speak to the devices. There is no way to do direct communication through Wi-Fi, or any non-Lutron bridge other than Samsung SmartThings. We go in-depth about the range Caseta Wireless can achieve here (What is the range of Caseta) and go into how to extend the range of the system here (How to extend the RF range of Caseta).

Caseta is good for small homes/condos. If you need more range or more than 74 connected devices you might want to consider RadioRa 3. RadioRa 3 will allow multiple repeaters and can be expanded much further.

You have know issue in your house with Clear connect. I have installed it in homes twice that size with no issues. The hub and the first lamp dimmer are repeaters. I would suggest you buy the new Caseta Diva (Dimmer) and Clara (switch). They are available at Home Depot.