Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Homeworks Processor (HQP6-2) & Grafik Eyes...and KEYPADS

Homeworks Processor (HQP6-2) & Grafik Eyes...and KEYPADS

New to Lutron (but not lighting control),

Trying to design a system using Grafik Eyes - for ease of use and built in keypads, but client wants global off from any floor - i don't want to just link the all together, because if someone presses off anywhere the whole house goes dark. Where as with HW i can do 2 second press, call multiple area scenes etc etc

Thinking good solution is one GE per room/area for convenience (and to keep costs down) , multiple QS keypads for global control - using a HQP6-2 - which solves my integration to 'other' problems also.

Would like to hear opinions on this GE-HW 'hybrid' system like this... total of 16 circuits only.

Next question is...

Can the GE's power my QS keypads (they have to be proper QS link keypads right?) or do i still need the crazy expensive Power Supply? Obviously GE have built in power so this would be excluded... keypad count is a mere 3 or 4, each one close to the localized GE, in adjacent hallway.

Hope this make sense... really appreciate your input.
    Regards,

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by Loosefix View Post
    New to Lutron (but not lighting control),

Trying to design a system using Grafik Eyes - for ease of use and built in keypads, but client wants global off from any floor - i don't want to just link the all together, because if someone presses off anywhere the whole house goes dark. Where as with HW i can do 2 second press, call multiple area scenes etc etc

Thinking good solution is one GE per room/area for convenience (and to keep costs down) , multiple QS keypads for global control - using a HQP6-2 - which solves my integration to 'other' problems also.

Would like to hear opinions on this GE-HW 'hybrid' system like this... total of 16 circuits only.

Next question is...

Can the GE's power my QS keypads (they have to be proper QS link keypads right?) or do i still need the crazy expensive Power Supply? Obviously GE have built in power so this would be excluded... keypad count is a mere 3 or 4, each one close to the localized GE, in adjacent hallway.

Hope this make sense... really appreciate your input.
    Regards,
    Dear Loosefix,

Thank you for the information.

If using the Grafik Eye QS with a HQP6-2 the keypads will need to be HWQS keypads and cannot be standalone QS keypads.

The Grafik Eye QS can power up to 3 keypads before needing an auxiliary power supply.

When you put the GEQS in a HomeWorks system the keypad on the front is completely programmable so you could make one of those buttons an all off.

There are some plug-in power supplies that are not as expensive.

I don't really care for Grafik Eyes in a residential system. The Grafik Eye is more limited on wattage when compared to equal number of dimmers. It is also more limited when it comes to LED selection. The GE doesn't do reverse phase, etc.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Loosefix: have not been on this site for a while. As you say you are new to HW. The Grafik Eye is basically a leftover and few use this in a total system design. If you want a simple system, Use a WPM ( basically a Grafik Eye - no keypad, less cost ) located in a local closet, laundry rm etc, someplace where you have good access and it is hidden. If most of your dim zones are forward phase then the WPM and standard keypads are the way to go.Even with the the newer lower priced LED's - many can be dimmed with this. If you mean 16 zones - then 3 WPM's will be all you need. Also with the HQP6, you get the 2nd link which can be wireless. Throw in a repeater and you then can have some RF dimmers for the single bedroom/light - no need for a keypad. If new construction, then always use a wired keypad. Larger projects - extensive reverse phase/electronic dimming require a panel system using RPM's. The WPM is often overlooked as a solution.
    Hope this helps