Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Maestro Motion Switch wiring problem

Maestro Motion Switch wiring problem

I have an older home that has a basement room containing a standard one-way on/off switch. Removing the switch shows just two wires. A black and a white. If I touch those two wires together the ceiling lights turn on.

I added a ground wire to the box which connects to the circuit breaker box so now I have a grounded green wire along with the black and white.

When I install the Lutron Motion switch it doesn't work because it looks like the "hot" wire actually comes "after" the lights. In other words I think the hot from the breaker goes to one side of the light fixture then from the fixture to the switch.

The ceiling is finished (done by the previous owner) so I can't see how it's wired.

I'm out of luck aren't I....

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by rms59 View Post
    I have an older home that has a basement room containing a standard one-way on/off switch. Removing the switch shows just two wires. A black and a white. If I touch those two wires together the ceiling lights turn on. paper minecraft

I added a ground wire to the box which connects to the circuit breaker box so now I have a grounded green wire along with the black and white.

When I install the Lutron Motion switch it doesn't work because it looks like the "hot" wire actually comes "after" the lights. In other words I think the hot from the breaker goes to one side of the light fixture then from the fixture to the switch.

The ceiling is finished (done by the previous owner) so I can't see how it's wired.

I'm out of luck aren't I....

Richard
    You try to check the power source and ask the previous owner about the installation places, but I am afraid that the internal line has been damaged.

Lutron Technical Support
    What is the symptom you are experiencing with the Maestro sensor? Is the light stuck in the ON position?

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle L. View Post
    What is the symptom you are experiencing with the Maestro sensor? Is the light stuck in the ON position?
    There is a black and white wire in the switchbox along with a bare copper. If I touch the white and black together the lights turn on. When I connect the two black wires from the Maestro to the black and white wires and the green wire from the Maestro to the bare copper, the lights stay on all the time. The Maestro switch does nothing.