Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Lights don't come on when dimming up

Unhappy Lights don't come on when dimming up

I have the classic Caseta dimmer switch in my kitchen. It's wired as a three-way switch, with a Pico remote at the other end. After the lights have been off for about 30 seconds or more, I try to "dim up" the lights by pushing the up arrow. However, the lights remain off - even if I keep dimming up all the way to 100%. Sometimes (but only sometimes) the lights will finally come on if I step back and wait for 5-10 seconds. But most of the time, the lights remain off. At that point the only way to get the lights to come on is to push the OFF button, wait a second or two, then push the ON button. Then, I can use the UP/DOWN buttons to fine-tune the lighting with no issues. I can even turn the lights completely off and then use the UP arrow to gradually increase the lighting. Again, the problem occurs when trying to use the UP arrow after the lights have been off for a little while.

Check the bulbs, non-dim bulbs will act like that. There may also be a compatibility issue. Try a different manufacturer.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

After verifying that the three-way wiring was correct and even swapping out the dimmer with another one from elsewhere in my home (to ensure the switch wasn't defective), I decided to try swapping out all three bulbs. This fixed the problem immediately, which seemed strange because the new bulbs were the exact same brand and model. After further testing, I discovered that one of the three original bulbs was the culprit. Adding that bulb back into the mix caused the problem to resume: when I tried to dim up the lights, all three bulbs remained dark. Replacing the problematic bulb caused all three to work as expected. Very strange! For what it's worth, I'm using EcoSmart dimmable BR40 LED bulbs, 75-watt equivalent.They aren't on the list of officially supported bulbs, but I'm using 12 of these bulbs in three other rooms without issue. Anyone have any ideas on what may have been going on with this one bulb that caused the other two bulbs to behave as described above? It's a recessed lighting setup, with the switch controlling three canned light fixtures.

Have you tried replacing the bulb with a different light?