Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: PD-6WCL Flashing after circuit change

PD-6WCL Flashing after circuit change

I have two PD-6WCL dimmer switches installed in my home theater. I had one controlling recessed LEDs in the seating area and a second controlling soffit lights around the perimeter of the room and a pair of LED lights on the two steps on the riser. In that configuration everything worked fine. On/off/dimming all good. I decided to separate the step lights from the other lights so they can remain on and dimmed when using the theater. Now both the seating area and soffit lights are on the same switch and work fine. The step lights turn on, and dim, but flash the entire time, including when I turn them off. There is a very faint flashing in the off position. I've tried a factory reset of that switch, and resetting the low trim, but haven't found a solution. When I do the low trim procedure the lights stay on without flashing, but as soon as I turn them off the flashing begins and if I turn them back on the flashing continues even at full brightness.

I'm stymied thinking since they worked before while tied in with the perimeter lights, they should work with just the step lights on the switch. What might I be missing?

Thanks!

Lutron Technical Support
    Hello. It could be that the soffit lights were helping the step lights in their performance by having extra resistance (load) on the same dimmer. Since the step lights are lower wattage, they may require the use of a neutral-based dimmer such as the PD-5NE to help with the flashing.

Sounds like the load is too small for the switch now that it has been changed. What is the wattage of the step lights ?

Look into the tech for LUT-MLC on Lutron website to see if this part may help with your issue.
    https://assets.lutron.com/a/document...94_LUT-MLC.pdf

The step lights are 3W each, total of 6W for the two. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&th=1

There are a number of Lutron dimmers listed as compatible, but none of the dimming switches that I've found. I've sent a message to ASD asking if the step lights are compatible with the
    PD-6WCL-BL. We'll see what they come back with.

Any time I have a fixture or bulb that is finicky Lutron seems to be the go to device that works well. Caseta is a bit different but still works with many of the lights out there.
    On a side note Amazon or off brand fixtures/bulbs give me fits when trying to dim them. Not all Amazon stuff is bad but it provides more headaches than the larger name brands.

Lutron Technical Support
    Quote Originally Posted by sweet88gt View Post
    Sounds like the load is too small for the switch now that it has been changed. What is the wattage of the step lights ?

Look into the tech for LUT-MLC on Lutron website to see if this part may help with your issue.
    https://assets.lutron.com/a/document...94_LUT-MLC.pdf
    Careful. The LUT-MLC is not meant to be installed with forward phase dimmers.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle L. View Post
    Careful. The LUT-MLC is not meant to be installed with forward phase dimmers.
    Very true I have contacted the Lutron phone tech and it was explained that way, but it "could work" with loads that are too low.

What is the LUT-MLC primary usage ?

Lutron Technical Support
    The LUT-MLC is a shunt-capacitor. The need for this part arose when microprocessor based switches that did not require a neutral (Example: PD-5WS-DV) were first released. They are also used on switches/reverse phase dimmers that are exhibiting a "ghosting" behavior. Ghosting occurs you turn the dimmer or switch "off," the residual leakage current flowing through the device is high enough so that the LEDs produce some light. In those instances, by adding a LUT-MLC, this residual leakage current has an alternative path to flow through rather than the load itself, thereby eliminating the ghosting effect for digital and analog or night lighted switches and reverse phase controls only.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle L. View Post
    The LUT-MLC is a shunt-capacitor. The need for this part arose when microprocessor based switches that did not require a neutral (Example: PD-5WS-DV) were first released. They are also used on switches/reverse phase dimmers that are exhibiting a "ghosting" behavior. Ghosting occurs you turn the dimmer or switch "off," the residual leakage current flowing through the device is high enough so that the LEDs produce some light. In those instances, by adding a LUT-MLC, this residual leakage current has an alternative path to flow through rather than the load itself, thereby eliminating the ghosting effect for digital and analog or night lighted switches and reverse phase controls only.
    Had that issue with plug in module of not turning off. Since you can't use that LUT-MLC the work around was to plug in an apple cube to allow the low level lights to fully turn off.