Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Do two programmers on same project have to have same Software Version?

Do two programmers on same project have to have same Software Version?

So there are 3 of us working on the same project. One is the local guy in the city that has access to the processor. He is pretty busy and not too hands on with the system but is called if he needs to go check a light or something. One is the Designer who lives in my city and makes changes via the app and then there is me, who thought it'd be fun to try out Lutron's remote functionalities and help the designer make changes that he can't do on the app himself. I'd imagine at some point he'd get Ra3 certified too but for now, I've made a few changes like changing the phasing of the dimmers, changing button types, etc.

I try to keep the latest version of the designer software so when I got the latest uploaded version of the database, I upconverted it and made my changes and had to update the firmware on the processor. When the other guy made HIS changes, he DOWN converted it to the previous version. Today, I downloaded it and had to upconvert it and re-upload it, but didn't have to update the firmware. I was shocked!

So is Ra3 smart enough to let people use different versions of the software and keep the same firmware on there???

No you all have to be onthe same version otherwise you will be upgrading/downgrading all the time. Pick one version and everyone use the same. I find little need to have the latest version, unless there is something that fixes a specific issue I have.

I usually follow that philosophy too but with Ra3/QSX, it's still a work in progress so each iteration adds features and/or fixes major bugs. For instance, the latest version let's the App user to rename zones. The previous update allowed toggled scenes which I had been waiting for. I am still waiting for the ability of the app to change keypad button names.

At any rate, I'm still trying to wrap my head around how it was even possible for the other programmer to downgrade my version and upload it to the processor without updating the processor firmware. When I checked, all my changes were intact and it didn't require me to change the firmware version on the processor like I did the previous time.