Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PD-6ANS and LED Christmas Light Ghosting

So if you turn the breaker off
    Hold down test button
    Reset breaker while holding test button
    Release test button
    That should 'recall" the last known trip

Call Eaton can complain for sure. I have seen them send all of the breakers needed and I have seen them deny and only one at a time. You can also return them to authorized Eaton dealers for replacement. One last resort is local chain suppliers, Home Depot comes to mind are supposed to return them as well. Not always the easiest task.
    I prefer manufacturer replacement. Its part number will be slightly different than that of say that Home Depot style store.
    When on the phone with them give them exactly each part number listed on breaker. remove all 5 needed and write down part numbers for replacements or they will give you grief.
    Have all of your items in place before waiting on hold.

2. Thanks Texas_Smarthome thanked for this post
    Thanks. The breaker tripped while I was at work. I did the steps above to recall the error code. 6 flashes. I recorded it on video. I'll try to get Eaton to replace all 5 breakers. I don't want to go through this process with each one. Thanks again for your help!

6 Self-test has failed. The breaker continuously runs a self-test. If this self test fails the breaker will trip. Breaker is faulty and must be replaced.

Pictures of the breaker....
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6836_sml.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	299.3 KB 
ID:	987

Name:	IMG_6837_sml.JPG 
Views:	8 
Size:	208.0 KB 
ID:	988

Update: I contacted Eaton today and they are sending me 5 replacement breakers. They seemed happy to stand behind their warranty which is refreshing after my horrible experience with Lennox. There are a few steps but in ~2-3 weeks I should have new breakers to swap out the defective one(s). The breaker tripped off again today with no load on the circuit. Maybe I will re-install the Caseta switch and see what happens.

Eaton part number: BRLAFGF120 Gen 2 (in case someone google searchers that part number)

Quote Originally Posted by Texas_Smarthome View Post
    Update: I contacted Eaton today and they are sending me 5 replacement breakers. They seemed happy to stand behind their warranty which is refreshing after my horrible experience with Lennox. There are a few steps but in ~2-3 weeks I should have new breakers to swap out the defective one(s). The breaker tripped off again today with no load on the circuit. Maybe I will re-install the Caseta switch and see what happens.

Eaton part number: BRLAFGF120 Gen 2 (in case someone google searchers that part number)
    BR is limited lifetime and their other brand CH is lifetime. They know both have issues and thats why they are recalled. Im confident the new breaker will start you back on track.

Each breaker performs a self test once a day, if it fails its self test it will trip. That would occur each day until replaced.

7. Thanks Texas_Smarthome thanked for this post
    The BR has a 10 year warranty, so I'm still well within that. And the other 4 will likely go bad I assume. I'll be glad to get rid of them. The breaker was tripped again when I got home from work so it seems I will just go straight to the breaker each night when I get home. It was tripping more often, like once every 2 hours. So running power through it might have changed something. It trips every 24 hours now. Maybe heating up with some current running through it has baked out some moisture or something. You seem to know a lot about these breakers. Thanks for the help.

An update to this thread... A few days ago I received 5 replacement AFCI/GFCI BR breakers from Eaton. I have to say I was very happy that Eaton stood behind their product warranty and also replaced the other 4 breakers of the same type. It did take about 2 weeks to get the replacements, luckily this circuit was not a critical load or it would have been painful to reset this breaker several times a day. For a few days it would only trip once a day, but then it was back to tripping every few hours. I replaced all five breakers and the Christmas light circuit no longer tripped. So that problem was solved.

The old/bad breakers are the five on the upper left. The long ones are the old ones, the short ones are the new ones. Thanks Eaton.

Name:	IMG_6882_sml.JPG 
Views:	7 
Size:	416.7 KB 
ID:	995Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6886_sml.JPG 
Views:	6 
Size:	450.8 KB 
ID:	996

So after 2 days of no issues with the breaker I reinstalled the Lutron Caseta PD-6ANS switch. Good and bad news.. the problem with the Christmas lights switching off was fixed, but the lights were ghosting again. I had erroneously jumped to the conclusion that some interaction with the breaker was causing the ghosting. But I put my multi-meter on the Caseta and it showed 38 volts on the output (red wire) to ground with the switch in the OFF position. If I pulled the little tab at the bottom of the switch the output goes to 0 volts. So something inside the switch has failed and it needs to be replaced. The warranty is only 1 year, and I think I bought this back in 2019. So tomorrow I'll go to the big box store and buy a new one. Since they only carry the 5 amp version, I'll use that one. I don't need the 6 amp version for this application. I'm a little disappointed I only got 3 years out of the switch at $60 a piece. I hope this is not a sign of things to come. This is installed in an attached garage. It is not a very harsh environment, and the switch only gets used for Christmas. Maybe it can't take the heat in the summer.

I bought a replacement switch today at a big blue store. They only stock the 5 amp PD-5ANS but that will do. I replaced the failed PD-6ANS and it worked fine. No ghosting LED Christmas Lights and ~0V on the output of the switch when the switch is OFF. I hope I get more than 3 years out of this one. Actually, not sure when it failed (sometime in 2022) since I only use it in December I didn't notice it when it happened.

This issue was two issues at the same time. Thanks for the help on this forum for diagnosing the problem(s). Maybe someone can benefit from this thread in the future.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12