Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Caseta Dimmer Flashing

Caseta Dimmer Flashing

We had dozens of dimmer/pico combos electrician installed -- P-PKG1W-WH -- over 4-years ago when the new house was built. One dimmer has started to malfunction.

The dimmer sometimes works, it sometimes does not, or after the lights are on for a while they go out. In hopes that a factory reset would fix the dimmer, I did that (i.e., rapid top switch tapping/holding etc.). And when factory reset, I then added it to the Lutron App. Now, whether the dimmer is manually turned-on, or turned-on with the Lutron app, the lights flash on/off (strobe), at approx. 1-second intervals.

Is there some other button/pressing/holding/sequencing that I could do to fix the switch. Or, is the dimmer in some sort of failure mode and needs to be replaced? Or could it be a bulb problem? The bulbs are the same ones installed, when the dimmer was installed and that we've used for 4-plus years, without issue.

The dimmer controls a front porch pendant (with 3 candelabra bulbs) and a recessed ceiling flood light.

Lutron Technical Support
    Do you have any of the model numbers of the lights you are using? We would like to see if we have testing with any of them. Also if you put an incandescent or halogen lamp to replace one of the lights, does it seem like you have normal control over the lights again?

Maybe it is a bulb issue. Have you tried replacement bulbs just to see if that fixes it. Also try removing a bulb at a time?

I find that the builds that claim dimming from 10% - 100% on their description work well. Also you have to have enough load on the system for Caseta to work. If you can try an old incandescent bulb; just for testing.

Also if the bulb replacement fails then it is the switch. If you have to replace, make sure you replace with the new DIVA model.

Also you can try a factory reset. It is a good idea to remove the device from the app, then factory reset and then add it back.

Silverton and Garrett S.,

The model number of the Caseta dimmer was included in the original post. It is P-PKG1W-WH. This number referenced a package that included a Pico remote. I presumed the dimmer in question was ID'ed by this number.

Before posting, a factory reset was tried several times.

The Caseta and the original bulbs that were installed when it was installed, have been working just fine for over 4-years. Nothing has changed but age and time. The problem recently began.

The circuit contains "a front porch pendant (with 3 candelabra bulbs) and a recessed ceiling flood light."

Can the age of a bulb cause what seems to be a problem with the Caseta dimmer? That is, might one LED bulb out of the several installed (for years), become problematic and cause my problem -- i.e., no bulb coming on, OR if/when they do, a flashing of all bulbs at a 1-second interval? BTW sometimes, ALL bulbs will come on and stay on and then later, go off.

If a formerly well working bulb (out of several working) can age and then later, cause a problem where ALL the bulbs will flash or not come one, then that is a problem. This is especially true, when multiple bulbs are installed! This would be akin to the problem of a Christmas Tree light string not functioning when one (1) bulb burns out -- i.e. have fun trying to find the offending bulb!

If it is true that one formerly well working bulb were to age and cause the entire circuit to blink or malfunction, then that sort of problem is exacerbated by my physical disabilities and inability to swap bulbs. With several bulbs only reachable by ladder, it would almost be easier to swap the old Caseta for a new one, for troubleshooting purposes.

In any case, thanks for the thoughts and help....

Not sure on the Caseta side of it but LED bulbs do age and I have noticed in work and at my home they do odd things right before they fail. With that said I can do it with a normal circuit as well. Cheap LED right before they stop working have flickered, shut off for a moment and I have actually had one stay lit in my hand after removing it from the light fixture. LED bulbs subject to outside have shorter lifespans in my experience.

So I am not saying the bulb is the issue what I am saying is change it to an regular bulb and try that. I know its not easy to get to but buying a new switch may not fix the problem.
    Another way is to just change the switch to a regular (non Caseta) and try that. It maybe easier to start there.

Quote Originally Posted by sweet88gt View Post
    Not sure on the Caseta side of it but LED bulbs do age and I have noticed in work and at my home they do odd things right before they fail. With that said I can do it with a normal circuit as well. Cheap LED right before they stop working have flickered, shut off for a moment and I have actually had one stay lit in my hand after removing it from the light fixture. LED bulbs subject to outside have shorter lifespans in my experience.

So I am not saying the bulb is the issue what I am saying is change it to an regular bulb and try that. I know its not easy to get to but buying a new switch may not fix the problem.
    Another way is to just change the switch to a regular (non Caseta) and try that. It maybe easier to start there.
    Thanks sweet88gt. Troubleshooting would be simpler if it was only 1-fixture and 1-bulb. I wonder if 1-old/perhaps faulty bulb, would cause the recessed flood light bulb and the pendant fixture with candelabra bulbs to malfunction as is being experienced -- i.e, the entire circuit with multiple bulbs simultaneously doing as is being experienced? Because there are several bulbs and both the ceiling can and pendant fixture have the same issue, would there be one &/or more than one bulb causing the random pulsing, &/or on for a while, then off, non-sequential pattern that is being seen? When activated, one never knows what if anything will be seen or perhaps, not seen -- pulsing, nothing, or all is well, until it isn't, when all bulbs go off?

At any rate, it does seem sensible to use a standard (non-dimmer) switch to test applicability. Besides buying another Caseta/Diva to use as a test switch is also sensible. With as many Caseta's we have, it is probably wise to have a back-up or two...

Is it agreed that if a Caseta needs to be replaced, that moving to a Diva (as "silverton" suggested) is prudent to do?

Personally I would actually tie the switch leg and the hot wire together to test and see if the circuit works properly. Save the effort of buying a switch. Do so at your comfort level.
    One bulb bad candleabra bulb (or bulbs) should not affect the recess light. If the switch is bad then anything it controls would be affected.

If you have an electrical issue the regular switch (tying the switch leg to power) or changing Caseta switches will not matter. then troubleshooting the circuit itself would be needed.
    1 step at a time to confirm or deny issue. Start with switch. That is the easiest and cheapest point. then move on from there. think of it as a flow chart.

Quote Originally Posted by sweet88gt View Post
    Personally I would actually tie the switch leg and the hot wire together to test and see if the circuit works properly. Save the effort of buying a switch. Do so at your comfort level.
    One bulb bad candleabra bulb (or bulbs) should not affect the recess light. If the switch is bad then anything it controls would be affected.

If you have an electrical issue the regular switch (tying the switch leg to power) or changing Caseta switches will not matter. then troubleshooting the circuit itself would be needed.
    1 step at a time to confirm or deny issue. Start with switch. That is the easiest and cheapest point. then move on from there. think of it as a flow chart.
    Thanks sweet88gt.

I doubt an electrical issue. Our custom house is only 4+ years old and the electrical company and lead electrician, were first rate. But from past experience, I try never to say never. Even in 4-years, an originally barely tightened wire may become loose etc... But I wouldn't think that all bulbs pulsing in 1-second intervals, would usually indicate a circuit issue, when the circuit worked from day one, up to 4 years later, when it didn't.

Interestingly though: Presently, the problem lighting came-on (when it was programmed to) and is working fine. Tonight, I will leave it as such. Because if I try to turn-it off with the App, or with the switch and the try to turn it back on (App or manually), it may work, it may NOT work, or it may pulse etc...jeez...

Lutron Technical Support
    Hello, if you had a bad led bulb it could cause issues with the other lights and/or control. A bulb could fail over time due to several reasons. Since the bulb is a bit hard to replace if you prefer swapping out the dimmer with a replacement will be able to provide confirmation.

If the bulbs still have issues with a replacement then we can assume it has something to do with the LEDs being dimmed. If the bulbs do not have issues then it would be safe to assume it is the control. This is less likely as usually when this control breaks it completely breaks.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast