Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Caseta Dimmer Flashing

Quote Originally Posted by Freddy G. View Post
    Hello, if you had a bad led bulb it could cause issues with the other lights and/or control. A bulb could fail over time due to several reasons. Since the bulb is a bit hard to replace if you prefer swapping out the dimmer with a replacement will be able to provide confirmation.

If the bulbs still have issues with a replacement then we can assume it has something to do with the LEDs being dimmed. If the bulbs do not have issues then it would be safe to assume it is the control. This is less likely as usually when this control breaks it completely breaks.
    It is good to know that "usually when this control breaks it completely breaks".

With our 30+ Caseta dimmers over their 4+ years of use, we've had some blinking issues, or a flash of light and then a failure to come on. But as with computers, turning them off and then on again, has corrected things. Interestingly, this usually happens with the same dimmers, while using the Alexa App. The LED bulbs we originally used and are mostly still using because they haven't needed replaced, were Home Depot's in-house brand, EcoSmart.

Quote Originally Posted by Audiophile View Post
    It is good to know that "usually when this control breaks it completely breaks".

With our 30+ Caseta dimmers over their 4+ years of use, we've had some blinking issues, or a flash of light and then a failure to come on. But as with computers, turning them off and then on again, has corrected things. Interestingly, this usually happens with the same dimmers, while using the Alexa App. The LED bulbs we originally used and are mostly still using because they haven't needed replaced, were Home Depot's in-house brand, EcoSmart.

These problems can be so frustrating. It is either a bulb or the switch. You have to test both. I would replace the switch and if it turns out to be the bulbs then return the new switch or replace the bulbs first. That is the only way to solve this.

Original Caseta vs a (smart) Diva?

Thanks Freddy G., I came to the conclusion you did and had already ordered another dimmer. However, because it is "smart", the Caseta in question has "smartly chosen" just to work the last two nights. I'm sure that's because it knows it's about to be replaced. :-) Seriously though, because of the number of Caseta's we do have, if the dimmer is NOT at fault, having an extra makes sense for spare purposes, or just to have on-hand for troubleshooting purposes.

I did order a smart Diva (#DVRF-6L-WH-R). From the research I did, it appears that the Diva was created more for appearance purposes -- to better blend with other rocker switches -- than enhanced functionality. So, other than its design, is there a reason to chose a Diva over a Caseta (or vice versa)?

The original Diva dimmer has been around and very popular. The new smart Diva gives the appearance of a regular switch to match in say multi gang box and gives you the smart capability.
    So no real reason other than the look.
    I have had customers say the Caseta switches look too modern for there taste. I do not believe they provide any significant feature that the Caseta switch doesn't.

But in any case the problematic switch working recently is an improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by sweet88gt View Post
    The original Diva dimmer has been around and very popular. The new smart Diva gives the appearance of a regular switch to match in say multi gang box and gives you the smart capability.
    So no real reason other than the look.
    I have had customers say the Caseta switches look too modern for there taste. I do not believe they provide any significant feature that the Caseta switch doesn't.

But in any case the problematic switch working recently is an improvement.
    Now that the circuit has "decided" to work, troubleshooting becomes the problem. I would guess that the: "If it ain't broke don't fix it" quote, came from this sort of scenario.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Both the Caseta's and Diva's appearances are just fine by me. If I had to choose 30+ dimmers again, I would have a tough time making the selection. Between kinda' techy, verses clean and more similar to our other rocker switches, is a tough call. Add in symmetry vs asymmetry and the decision clouds even more. Frankly, if one has a ton of circuits and several ganged together, the 2-dimmer versions could act like icons, depicting which switch goes to what circuit. Nevertheless having choices is a prudent marketing decision.

I should add, that we have been quite satisfied with the Caseta's. That is even more the so because of my disabilities. Plus, being able to verbally control them and adding several to various routines, has not only been practical, but fun. Who doesn't like telling an inanimate object what to do :-)

Happy holidays everyone and good lighting to all!!

I just noticed that the problems that I've had with the circuit in question, correlates with 3 other circuit flashing problems that have periodically occurred over the 4+ years the Caseta dimmers have been in service. The common denominator is that each of these circuits contains the same brand of candelabra bulbs. None of the other circuits in the house have candelabra bulbs and I’ve never had similar problems with those circuits. So perhaps, the issue I am having is indeed attributed to the bulbs, rather than the Caseta dimmer(s). I will source other candelabra brand bulbs and see if the periodic flashing problem ceases.

The bulbs presently in use are Phillips. Is there another candelabra brand of bulbs with E12 bases, that have worked for everyone?

Lutron Technical Support
    We would recommend sourcing bulbs from our compatibility tool at lutron.com/ledfinder. I have had good performance personally with EcoSmart candelabra bulbs from Home Depot.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle L. View Post
    We would recommend sourcing bulbs from our compatibility tool at lutron.com/ledfinder. I have had good performance personally with EcoSmart candelabra bulbs from Home Depot.
    While Ecosmart bulbs in the A lamp designation have worked well I have not had the same luck with Ecosmart candelabra base bulbs. Do you have a part number for the ones you are using?

Lutron Technical Support
    I have been using these lamps in a single-bulb lamp controlled by a PD-3PCL lamp dimmer without issues. Cannot say if the performance would be worse if I had more bulbs on there, but typically if one bulb works well, putting more on there shouldn't be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle L. View Post
    I have been using these lamps in a single-bulb lamp controlled by a PD-3PCL lamp dimmer without issues. Cannot say if the performance would be worse if I had more bulbs on there, but typically if one bulb works well, putting more on there shouldn't be an issue.
    Color choice has been an issue as that 2700 K bulb doesn't match as well as the 3000 K with other fixtures in close proximity.

3000 K bulb listed on the LED capability tool is at 100 watt equivalent. A bit more than I need with 6 bulbs.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast