Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Problem with MA-T51 Countdown Timer operation of Bathroom Exhaust Fan

Question Problem with MA-T51 Countdown Timer operation of Bathroom Exhaust Fan

I have a Lutron Maestro MA-T51 Countdown Timer connected to a Panasonic Whisperfit Ventilation Fan in a bathroom that turns on and off repeatedly when the switch is turned on or timer setting is on. Are the fan and switch incompatible? Is there a problem with wiring installation or other problem etc.?

I just ran into this too. You need to use the version of the timer with a neutral wire connection.

Lutron Technical Support
    When the timer switch cycles the fan on and off repeatedly it is due to the fan not meeting the minimum load requirements of the timer switch. As previously mentioned, you would want to replace the MA-T51 with the neutral-based timer switch MA-T51MN. This switch requires a neutral connection. This timer switch has a lower minimum load requirement and should function properly with the Panasonic Whisper fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan K. View Post
    When the timer switch cycles the fan on and off repeatedly it is due to the fan not meeting the minimum load requirements of the timer switch. As previously mentioned, you would want to replace the MA-T51 with the neutral-based timer switch MA-T51MN. This switch requires a neutral connection. This timer switch has a lower minimum load requirement and should function properly with the Panasonic Whisper fan.
    I also have a Panasonic whisper DC fan and the Lutron MN version of the timer works. It’s a minimum load issue, requiring the MN version.

Only bothersome thing is that the timer turns the fan off and back on when there is a minute remaining in the countdown. Lutron says this is a warning and can’t be disabled. Fair enough if you’re controlling a light, but I’d don’t care that the fan is going to turn off. Lutron should have included the ability to disable this. I have no idea how it will impact the motor of my fan long-term, especially considering that the fan has a startup pause for a reason I assume is to not turn the Doc motor on and then back off.