Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Use a PD-5ANS as a remote control?

Question Use a PD-5ANS as a remote control?

I'm trying to solve for a possible undercabinet lighting installation in my kitchen.

Currently, I have two lighting circuits: one for overhead lighting, and another for over-sink lighting. Each circuit is on a separate branch, and each is controlled by a dedicated PD-5ANS (simple on/off) control. Additionally, I have wall-mounted two Pico remotes, and paired each light to the remotes. As a result, the lighting can be controlled individually from either of the PD-5ANS, but either of the Picos will control both circuits with a single button press.

Is it possible to program a scene that will cause a PD-5ANS to act as a remote. I'd like to install undercabinet lighting on the other side of the kitchen connected via with a lamp dimmer module, or outdoor switch module, but have it controlled by the over-sink switch, which is conveniently located.

I have a similar situation with my outdoor motion lights in the backyard. There are three lighting heads, each connected to their own branch circuit and separate PD-5ANS switches, but ganged to a single Pico remote inside my patio door. I used a Wiremold extension box to "bury" one of the PD-5ANS switches and install the Pico in front of it, which is functional, but also a little unsightly. That solution wouldn't work for my kitchen.

Open to any suggestions!

Lutron Technical Support
    Hello DadInGeorgia and welcome to the forums!

Natively in the Lutron app, hardwired dimmers or switches cannot be used to control another hardwired device. Our apologies for this. What you are looking for is an if/then statement that may be achievable through integrations. We recommend looking into IFTTT or HomeKit by utilizing a HomeHub for automations. These integrations can check for the status of the PD-5ANS where if it detects it's in the ON position, it can then turn the device controlling the undercabinet lighting ON as well.

As you may know, a standard 3-button Pico or Pico Scene Keypad remote can be wall mounted next to the position of the PD-5ANS with our PICO-WBX-ADAPT mounting hardware. However, we can understand if this look is not desired.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon W. View Post
    Hello DadInGeorgia and welcome to the forums!

Natively in the Lutron app, hardwired dimmers or switches cannot be used to control another hardwired device. Our apologies for this. What you are looking for is an if/then statement that may be achievable through integrations. We recommend looking into IFTTT or HomeKit by utilizing a HomeHub for automations. These integrations can check for the status of the PD-5ANS where if it detects it's in the ON position, it can then turn the device controlling the undercabinet lighting ON as well.

As you may know, a standard 3-button Pico or Pico Scene Keypad remote can be wall mounted next to the position of the PD-5ANS with our PICO-WBX-ADAPT mounting hardware. However, we can understand if this look is not desired.
    I'm not familiar with the Scene Keypads, but I will look into it. Unrelated to the kitchen, I have multiple dimmed lights in the living room that have a dual-mount pedestal with two pico dimming remotes, and this could potentially be useful there, also. Thanks!

Lutron Technical Support
    We are happy to hear that these Keypads can be of use elsewhere in your home! To get an idea of how these Keypads program and appear in the app, here's a helpful article: How to Program and Use The Pico Scene Keypad within the Lutron App | Lutron