Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Staircase question with two on/off swithes

Staircase question with two on/off swithes

I have a stair-case with a basic on-off switch at the top and bottom. The two switches control a small chandelier.

Can I add a dimmer switch (P-PKG1W-WH) at the bottom only? My fear is that on/off switch at the top of the stairs will jack up the control on the dimmer switch at the bottom of the stairs.

sbjordal-
    That package would not work with the other switch. You would need the Caseta Pro dimmer to work in a wired three way set up. You could use the Pico in place of the other switch, and you would then be able to dim from either location.
    Business Development Associate- Design, Sales, Installation, and Programming of Smart Homes for Baker Electric Home Energy
    mbalay@bakerhomeenergy.com
    "Spread the light, brother" -Blake Richetta
    "If you think hiring a professional is expensive, wait until you hire an amateur" -Crustyloafer

Thanks for the education. Much appreciated!

With a Pro model, you can have a dimmer at the bottom and regular switch at the top. (afraid I don't knew how the switch effects the dimmer as I don't have one.) you can also use a regular dimmer with a pico at the top of the stairs. only issue is Casetas don't have a return to previous setting like some dimmers do.

I believe you have classic 3 ways switch connection (3 wires + ground in each switch).
    In-wall dimmer package (P-PKG1W-WH) will work if your total wattage is below 150W;no need to go to PRO package. But I won't recommend you to change only 1 switch. The most easy solution is replace 1 switch with in-wall dimmer, and replace another switch with PICO + Wall mount. Then both switches will be sync and work beautifully.

Keep in mind, 3 ways connection does not show in the installation manual. Let me know if you need any instruction.

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Three way wiring is shown in the Advanced Installation Guide here: http://www.casetawireless.com/Docume...ced%20Inst.pdf .