Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Switch appears dead, fixture has power (PD-6WCL)

Unhappy Switch appears dead, fixture has power (PD-6WCL)

I am trying to replace a single pole light switch with a Lutron Caséta dimmer. The switch controls an outlet where I want to plug some dimmable LED string lights. Currently the outlet is controlled by a traditional rocker switch.

When I removed the existing switch, it had two black wires attached to the switch and a pair of white wires connected to each other with a plastic wire nut shoved in the back of the box. There is no neutral or ground. I purchased a PD-6WCL and installed according to directions (each black wire attached to one wire on the switch). Now that the new switch is installed, the switch appears to be dead — the little LEDs on the switch do not light up they way other Casétas in my house do — and the outlet always has power.

I'm hoping for guidance on if the problem is a faulty product that I should return, or if my planning or wiring may be incorrect. Thanks!

An outlet is not allowed to be controlled by a dimmer because it is unsafe... unless you also replace the outlet with one made by Lutron. Lutron Architectural Style Wallplates and Accessories

Not sure about the dimmer issue.

Lutron Technical Support
    Are the lights plugged into the outlet? The indicator lights on the dimmer will not illuminate if there is no lighting load connected to them. It is not recommended to have dimmers control outlets in the case a non supported device is plugged in that would ruin the dimmer such as a vacuum cleaner.

4. Thanks kaibosh thanked for this post
    Cool! Is the outlet controllable like other Lutron products? Or is it dimmable when controlled by a separate dimmer switch? Wondering if I could eliminate the switch and just control the outlet.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt H. View Post
    Are the lights plugged into the outlet? The indicator lights on the dimmer will not illuminate if there is no lighting load connected to them. It is not recommended to have dimmers control outlets in the case a non supported device is plugged in that would ruin the dimmer such as a vacuum cleaner.
    It is an exterior outlet about 12 ft up (switch is inside), so accidental use is not a real concern. Thanks for info. The outlet was empty when I was trying this earlier so your thought may solve it. I will investigate soon.