Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Pre-Installed 6NA Dimmer will not activate

Exclamation Pre-Installed 6NA Dimmer will not activate

Hi,

I am using Inclusive 9.2. I recently installed about 8 new 6NA dimmers in a home. Everything was working fine and then the project file got deleted. We were able to find a backup copy, but the backup was made just prior to the addition of the new 8 dimmers. So we went ahead and added the new dimmers to the project and then tried to activate them. But when we try to proceed through activation, the software tells us the device is already activated. All the serial numbers are missing for these new 8 dimmers. We tried to factory default them, but no luck. How do we proceed through activation or get the serial numbers again, without having to open up all the boxes again and look at the numbers on each switch? We thought that factory defaulting them would work, but the software still "sees" them as activated.

Then we thought we could download the project file from the repeater, but since we attempted a reactivation the file on the repeater now no longer has these 8 dimmers.

If we have to open up 8 boxes, it's not the end of the world, but there's got to be a better way?

Also, does Inclusive (or Essential) have a report that lists every device and the SERIAL #'s? So I can print it out and save it for future reference?

Thanks,

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Since the dimmers were previously activated they will need to be defaulted back to factory settings in order to be activated back to the Main Repeater. To default the dimmers tap the on/off button 3 times quickly and hold on the fourth tab. Hold until the LEDs start to scroll and then quickly tap 3 more times and release. If defaulted correctly the LEDs on the dimmer will scroll up and down 3 times. Once they are defaulted then you will be able to activate them back into the system.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike S. View Post
    Since the dimmers were previously activated they will need to be defaulted back to factory settings in order to be activated back to the Main Repeater. To default the dimmers tap the on/off button 3 times quickly and hold on the fourth tab. Hold until the LEDs start to scroll and then quickly tap 3 more times and release. If defaulted correctly the LEDs on the dimmer will scroll up and down 3 times. Once they are defaulted then you will be able to activate them back into the system.
    I tried that. They they went back to factory default, but the software still says control already activated. It won't let me go on. Yet the software doesn't have the serial number for that particular switch. Any other thoughts?

ISaunders-
    Make sure that the dimmer was responding to the default command. I used to teach press four times very fast, within a second of all four presses. On the last press, hold until the dimmer ramps up and down repeatedly and quickly. Once the ramping starts, release the dimmer and press four times again very fast. DO NOT hold on the last press. The dimmer should then respond by ramping up and down at a slower rate. It will then go "fuzzy" like it is bad while the memory resets. Usually back online in 30 seconds or less. If you did not get the ramping after the presses, you probably didn't press fast enough. Happens more often than not that the button was pressed too slow. Keeps the dimmer from accidentally defaulting when kids play with the lights.

It's rare that you would need to do this from out of the box, but Lutron did actually activate and test the dimmer on a system before it was shipped. Occasionally, the dimmer doesn't get the factory default after testing and it ships still activated on the test system back at the mothership. I've had to do this out of the box on several occasions.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols