Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Caseta 3 Way

Caseta 3 Way

I think that it’s possible to use one Caseta Dimmer and one mechanical switch in a three way set up. In that case if the mechanical switch is turned on, will it go to the brightness level of the Caseta Dimer, or will it go to full brightness?

Can a non-smart Diva dimmer or a non-smart DIva on/off switch be used with a Caseta Dimmer in a three way?

If I need to control the dim level from both sides, is the only option to use one Caseta Dimmer and a Pico?

Lutron Technical Support
    1. Which model of Caseta dimmer will you be using? Not all dimmers can be wired in with a mechanical 3-way switch.

2. No, a non-smart Diva dimmer cannot be used with a Caseta dimmer nor switch. A non-smart Claro switch, however, can be wired in with the select Caseta dimmers that allow for a mechanical 3-way setup.

3. Yes.

My Caseta Dimmer is model PD-6WCL-WH
    Would that work with a Claro?

Lutron Technical Support
    You will not be able to use a mechanical switch with the PD-6WCL. Only the DVRF-6L & PD-10NXD can be wired up with a mechanical switch. You can learn more at: http://www.casetawireless.com/3way

Caseta Claro Smart Switch DVRF-5NS in 4 way Application
    I wanted to install the Claro Smart Switch to automatically turn on exterior low voltage overhead patio lights at sundown. The master switch is located in the main house, with additional switches located in a detached guest house 25 feet away and an adjacent detached garage with switches 30 feet and 60 feet away, from the master switch. I do not want to use a PICO remote due to the distance and prefer a wired mechanical switch. Can I use Claro Non-smart switches in these locations? Or do I need to use (Can I use) additional Claro Smart switches in this 4-way application? I do have a neutral wire.

Caseta Wireless PD-6ANS in 3 way Application
    Also, can a Caseta Wireless PD-6ANS work as the master switch in a 3-way application with a Claro non-smart mechanical switch as the additional switch? Does it only work in this configuration with a PICO remote?

Thank you.

Lutron Technical Support
    Currently, there are no Caseta switches that can be installed in a 4-way application with mechanical switches. The 4-way mechanical switches would have to be removed, bypassed, and replaced with Pico remotes. The remaining 3-way mechanical switch can then be rewired per the Caseta 3-way wiring instructions found on casetawireless.com/3way. Please note, the speced RF range from the switch to the Pico is 60 feet line of sight, 30 feet through obstructions. An alternative, once they are released, would be to use the Claro smart switch installed in one wall box and the Claro smart accessory switches (DVRF-AS) installed in the remaining wall boxes. Only one smart switch/dimmer can be installed per lighting circuit.

Any Caseta smart switch (and one Caseta smart dimmer) can be installed in a 3-way application with a non-smart mechanical switch. The installation instructions can be found at casetawireless.com/3way.
    Last edited by Jonathan K.; 11-19-2022 at 06:18 AM.

8. Thanks meschalmers thanked for this post
    Thank you. Would the Claro smart accessory work in a 4-way application with a Claro Smart Switch? Any idea when the DVRF-AS Claro Accessory switch will be released? Also are there advantages of the Claro Smart switch over the original Caseta wireless switch (PD-6ANS)?

Lutron Technical Support
    Yes. In a 4-way installation, the Claro smart switch would have to be installed with Claro smart accessory switches in the remaining wall box locations. We would not be able to use a mechanical (non-smart) switch at all in this configuration. Current estimates indicate the Claro smart accessory switch will be available in December. The main advantage of the Claro smart switch over the PD-6ANS is the addition of the accessory switch (which is only compatible with the Diva smart dimmer and Claro smart switch). The smart accessory switch does not communicate via RF so it does not experience the range limitation of the Pico remotes. Additionally, it does not get added to the Caseta smart hub so it will not count against the hub's 75-device limit.

11. Thanks meschalmers thanked for this post