Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: HomeWorks - clock losing 5 mins/year

HomeWorks - clock losing 5 mins/year

13 year old Homeworks system (HWI-PO-120). Clock loses 5 minutes per year. For example, six years ago, exterior lights came on 1/2 hour late. Nowadays it's well over an hour late. To the layperson/owner, seems like it would certainly be a do-able fix. So I had the original installers come by. Spent a whole bunch of time. And they couldn't correct it. Any thoughts out there? Los Angeles area (if you know of any super local techs).

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike AC View Post
    13 year old Homeworks system (HWI-PO-120). Clock loses 5 minutes per year. For example, six years ago, exterior lights came on 1/2 hour late. Nowadays it's well over an hour late. To the layperson/owner, seems like it would certainly be a do-able fix. So I had the original installers come by. Spent a whole bunch of time. And they couldn't correct it. Any thoughts out there? Los Angeles area (if you know of any super local techs).
    Dear Mike AC,

If the time is drifting on the processor then it will need to be sent the correct time or uploaded to correct it. If the processor continues to drift then the processor will need to be replaced. Unfortunately, the HWI and HW processors are obsolete and the system would need to be upgraded.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin P. View Post
    Dear Mike AC,

If the time is drifting on the processor then it will need to be sent the correct time or uploaded to correct it. If the processor continues to drift then the processor will need to be replaced. Unfortunately, the HWI and HW processors are obsolete and the system would need to be upgraded.

Thanks Kevin.

What if I changed the location settings to a time zone one hour ahead? (paragraph 1.5.7 - time clock tab under user preferences). I skimmed through a 468 page online document called Homeworks Interactive (10/20/03) when this idea hit me. And paragraph 1.5.7 is from that doc. I saw no info on how to re-set the time clock.

Jumping ahead, I presume I'd need a RS 232 to USB cable & the HomeWorks software?? Would I need the original installer's software or can I get my mits on a copy of it elsewhere?

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike AC View Post
    Thanks Kevin.

What if I changed the location settings to a time zone one hour ahead? (paragraph 1.5.7 - time clock tab under user preferences). I skimmed through a 468 page online document called Homeworks Interactive (10/20/03) when this idea hit me. And paragraph 1.5.7 is from that doc. I saw no info on how to re-set the time clock.

Jumping ahead, I presume I'd need a RS 232 to USB cable & the HomeWorks software?? Would I need the original installer's software or can I get my mits on a copy of it elsewhere?

Mike
    Dear Mike AC,

Thank you for the follow-up.

Changing the time zone will not resolve the issue if the processor if it is gaining time. The processor will continue to gain time.

To set the time you only need to connect to the processor in a terminal session with an RS-232 cable. You will not need the programming software to change the time. Once connected in a terminal session you can send the command, "ST, time", time is the time you wish to enter (07:25:42 for example).

He will need the famous Lutron password though to connect in terminal correct ?

Quote Originally Posted by mcignarella View Post
    He will need the famous Lutron password though to connect in terminal correct ?
    Dear mcignarella,

Thank you for the inquiry.

If the RS-232 terminal was not logged out then he will not need the password. Only when a user sends the logout command for the RS-232 connection will require to enter the password again.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin P. View Post
    Dear Mike AC,

Thank you for the follow-up.

Changing the time zone will not resolve the issue if the processor if it is gaining time. The processor will continue to gain time.

To set the time you only need to connect to the processor in a terminal session with an RS-232 cable. You will not need the programming software to change the time. Once connected in a terminal session you can send the command, "ST, time", time is the time you wish to enter (07:25:42 for example).
    Success!! Thank you Kevin for your help. Very much appreciated! Exterior lights came on at sunset. Such a relief. Not very hard but the hardest part for me was taking the time to learn HyperTerminal.