Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Newby help

Newby help

I just bought a home with some Lutron stuff installed and I'm trying to make sense of what I have. The previous owners had everything running from a PC based system but wanted $35k extra to leave it. I wasn't interested at that price. Here's what I've been able to find so far. There are several Lutron dimmer switches installed throughout the home. Some are in very out of the way locations. For example all the outdoor dimmers are in a hall closet. There are also several Pico controllers which each run one circuit inside the home. Inside the front door there is a RRD-W6BRL switch panel that is labeled Radio RRA-2. It controls all the outside lights through the dimmers in the closet. So far that lets me turns things off and on. I'd like to be able to add a timer function to the outside lighting but I'm confused by main repeater vs connect bridge. Do I already have either somewhere? Will the app let me set schedules? Thanks for the help. This isn't rocket science but Lutron's documentation doesn't seem very friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by stevesmith7 View Post
    I just bought a home with some Lutron stuff installed and I'm trying to make sense of what I have. The previous owners had everything running from a PC based system but wanted $35k extra to leave it. I wasn't interested at that price. Here's what I've been able to find so far. There are several Lutron dimmer switches installed throughout the home. Some are in very out of the way locations. For example all the outdoor dimmers are in a hall closet. There are also several Pico controllers which each run one circuit inside the home. Inside the front door there is a RRD-W6BRL switch panel that is labeled Radio RRA-2. It controls all the outside lights through the dimmers in the closet. So far that lets me turns things off and on. I'd like to be able to add a timer function to the outside lighting but I'm confused by main repeater vs connect bridge. Do I already have either somewhere? Will the app let me set schedules? Thanks for the help. This isn't rocket science but Lutron's documentation doesn't seem very friendly.

Basically, previous owner has to remove the home from their account (email address). Then you need to download the Lutron Connect app. Create a new user and log into the system while on the homes wifi. Lutron will also need to be on the same network for this to work. So if you've changed the network, the Lutron system may not be setup correctly. You will have to located the Connect bridge and push a button on it to connect to the system. Once that is done, you will be able to set schedules and control the lighting via the app. You can also make some changes to the keypad buttons.

You will need to ask the previous owner for the programming file or hire a company to come in to assist in programming changes or additional devices.

Good luck

Thanks. So first I have established my own wifi, nothing left from the previous owner. Second, I cannot locate any connect bridge. Most likely taken by them. Would the picos and the switch panel still function without the connect bridge or do I need to keep looking?

The connect bridge is the gateway to the app. The main repeater is what maintains the programming. Both are needed for a full functioning system so if they are gone, you should pay to have someone install and get your system functional.

I also want to purchase a Lutron. I'm trying to decide which to purchase.tiny fishing
    I've already made a decision as a result of your talk.

The system should continue to work as programmed while you get set up to modify it. As noted above, you may want to hire someone to extract the program file and work with you to set it up as you like. If you buy a Connect Bridge and get it set up, you should be able to do a lot through the app, but not everything you can do in the PC-base programming environment. If the system was left at the Essentials level, you can take an online course from Lutron and get the software to program the system yourself. There is a higher level certification called Inclusive that requires additional courses and unlocks more features.
    Last edited by jeffw; 11-21-2022 at 11:23 AM. Reason: Typo