Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: RRD-H6BRL keypad buttons not working (but still dims ok)

RRD-H6BRL keypad buttons not working (but still dims ok)

I have an RRD-H6BRL installed back in 2012 that has recently stopped showing any signs of life from the keypad/backlight on the faceplate. The dimmer in it still works, as commands from other devices (remote dimmer, integration, pico and scenes from other keypads) still allow the light connected to it to operate. Pulling the FASS on the front does interrupt the load but has no effect on the keypad buttons/backlight. Powering it off for several hours had no effect.

The dimmer in this has seen regular use, but not from this keypad. It's for a stairway chandelier (two 60W incandescent bulbs, default dim to 75%) and gets regularly illuminated from a separate RRD-W6BRL keypad, and extinguished from an accessory RD-RD remote dimmer. The keypad on the front ended up not being used as often. Still used, just not everyday, and then typically to control other scenes on the keypad that also included this dimmer load.

No other devices on this 2-repeater Ra2 installation appear to be having any trouble, nor has anything been done to the light bulbs and fixture on this circuit.

I'm assuming this means the keypad is dead?

Are there any gotchas to consider if replacing this with an HN6BRL instead? There are no immediate plans to change the light fixture on the circuit but you know how it goes when any time changes are made to switches... sometimes someone on-site wants to make other changes too, "while you're here".

Before you throw it out... Do a fresh program upload. Make sure the hybrid is programmed correctly. Sometimes older versions of the software get uploaded, especially if you have multiple programmers. Also check the back light settings. They can be turned off in the software.

IF that doesn't work, I would reset it to factory default and try again.

The long-shot is that it somehow lost its neutral connection. The dimmer portion would still work if you meet the minimum load requirement but they keypad would act flaky, if it responded at all.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

3. Likes Bill13 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by randyc View Post
    Before you throw it out... Do a fresh program upload. Make sure the hybrid is programmed correctly. Sometimes older versions of the software get uploaded, especially if you have multiple programmers. Also check the back light settings. They can be turned off in the software.

IF that doesn't work, I would reset it to factory default and try again.

The long-shot is that it somehow lost its neutral connection. The dimmer portion would still work if you meet the minimum load requirement but they keypad would act flaky, if it responded at all.
    Thanks for the suggestions.

Wouldn't a factory reset require being able to use the front buttons? The buttons on the front are not working. The dimmer inside still operates, just without local control.

There's a PC on-site that gets used for all the programming, using 12.9.0 of Inclusive. This has done several of the past transfers (last one being from Feb 2022).

I have done a transfer and it reports the device is not communicating. Other devices take their transfer just fine. Additional transfers does not change the situation.

I'll double-check the neutral connection in the box. It's in a 2-gang box with an RD-RD for a dimmer in another box.

There have been no other wiring changes on-site, or any other electrical anomalies. Other lights on this same electrical breaker have been working fine.

In re-checking, it looks like one of the three incandescent bulbs is burned out. I'll replace that and see if that affects the situation (though that seems unlikely).

Update: combination of bad connection in the fixture at the ceiling (oh, the joys of 2-story chandelier installs) and burned out bulbs. Seems the two of the three were out and the 3rd was iffy. Replacing them revealed that any tension on the chain caused flickering... and not in the part within EASY reach.

So, not a bad keypad after all. That and 'inconsistent error reporting from personnel in the home'.

6. Likes randyc liked this post
    I'm glad its working. The device has a minimum load rating. Although the dimmer was working you may hot have had enough load to power the electronics in the keypad.

The factory reset is an internal function. It's possible the keypad might reset even though it's otherwise not working.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Quote Originally Posted by randyc View Post
    I'm glad its working. The device has a minimum load rating. Although the dimmer was working you may hot have had enough load to power the electronics in the keypad.
    I'm guessing you're correct, the last flaky bulb was still letting the dimmer work. All three bulbs were new with the fixture when it was installed back in 2013, so it's not a big surprise to have them fail at nearly the same time.