Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Caseta PD-5Ans to control gas lit sconce light

Caseta PD-5Ans to control gas lit sconce light

Can i use a contactor to control a set of exterior gas sconce lights? I tried just using the Caseta switch and the hub to control the lights, but the signal from the switch would not engage the ignition of the pilot light. Any ideas?

Lutron Technical Support
    Lutron does not recommend using the PD-5ANS devices to control outputs of heat like fireplaces, gas-fired lights, or anything of that nature. It is a possible safety hazard and the switch is not rated to control these types of loads. You should be using a low voltage contactor or control that is rated to work with gas-fired lights.

It depends on the fixture. Some gas lights use a 120v trigger to ignite. Some use a contact closure. Even if it is a 120v trigger you may have problems getting an electronic switch to consistently turn the light on.

Make sure you have the neutral connected.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

You can use a PD-5ANS to control the 120V AC coil of a relay (contactor) like a FUNCTIONAL DEVICES INC / RIB RIBU1C. This gives you 10A contacts (NO/NC) for resistive loads - likely adequate for your needs. These come enclosed with pigtails but you still need to ultimately enclose them suitably for the application. RIB relays are available in many contact/voltage versions if this one doesn't work (but you do need one with the 120V coil option). I use this general configuration controlled by PD-5ANS switches to control outdoor LED lighting power supply, high power landscape lighting transformers and (with 220V relays) Pool and Waterfall pumps. I also have my domestic electric water heater controlled this way on a Caseta schedule via a 50A contactor to match utility TOU plan. You could even use this to control low voltage switching via a Caseta switch as long as you suitably isolate the low voltage side.

Of course y
    ou should only do such implementations if you are confident/capable in your electrical skills and able to follow national/local electrical codes - if not - engage a professional.