Quote Originally Posted by KBW28 View Post
Following the schematic from the advanced setup guide, I can confirm that it is in fact possible to use the DVRF-6L in a 4 way configuration with two mechanical three-way switches. My setup involves line and load originating in the same box, but you should be able to adapt it to other setups as well.

The general idea is to:
1) have the DVRF-6L black wire powered at all times
2) have the DVRF-6L red wire connected to the load (light)
3) switch power to the DVRF-6L blue wire for remote control

The wiring setup I use to do this is as follows:

[DVRF-6L]
- Black wire => connected to incoming hot
- Red wire => connected to switched load (light)
- Blue wire => connected to a traveller that lands on the Black terminal (common) on [Adjacent 3 way]
* In this box, the incoming hot is also spliced into one wire from 14/3 (in my case the black wire) that goes to the [Adjacent 3 way] box. This will be used as the source to switch the blue wire on the DVRF-6L

[Adjacent 3 way]
- Black terminal (common) => connected to traveller that lands on the blue wire at [DVRF-6L]
- Gold terminal 1 => connected to traveller that lands on gold terminal 1 at [Remote 3 way]
- Gold terminal 2 => connected to traveller that lands on gold terminal 2 at [Remote 3 way]
* In this box, the incoming hot on the black wire from 14/3 from the [DVRF-6L] box gets spliced into black wire on 14/3 running to [Remote 3 way]

[Remote 3 way]
- Black terminal (common) => connected to the black wire which is the hot that originated from the [DVRF-6L] box
- Gold terminal 1 => connected to traveller that lands on gold terminal 1 at [Adjacent 3 way]
- Gold terminal 2 => connected to traveller that lands on gold terminal 2 at [Adjacent 3 way]

As mentioned above, this method should also be able to be extended to 5 way+ applications.
The logic seems work. But it requires an addition wire from [DVRF-6L] box (Red wire) to light. So it’s not really compatible with existing setup.

Another approach is to run additional wire from 4way mechanical switch to 3way mechanical switch as the toggle for [DVRF-6L] blue wire. But this also requires adding extra wire, hence wall patching etc.

Not sure if there’s a way without additional wiring. Probably that’s why there’s no official installation guide for this.