Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Lutron app not seeing RRST-PRO-N

Question Lutron app not seeing RRST-PRO-N

I've installed several Sunnata RRST-PRO-N dimmers and I was able to activate them using the Lutron iPad app without issue. However, I have one that is part of a 4-way switch and the app doesn't see it to activate. It seems to work just fine from the switch, including the companion dimmers, and no blinking leds or anything else to indicate a problem.

My only guess at the problem is possibly the neutral. I had to install the
    RRST-PRO-N at the load side and there was no neutral available in this box but I was able to run a neutral from the light fixture to the box. Do you think that could have something to do with this behavior?

Thanks!

Louis

I'm a little confused on the wiring. Unless you have a really old house, there should be a neutral at the (load) end where the wire goes up to the light.

Not all white wires are neutrals. Check the voltage between the hot and neutral. If it is a neutral you should get 120v.

Generally, neutral devices want to be the device closest to the load.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Thanks for your reply.

My home was built about 1960. There was no neutral on the load end box.

I'll check the voltage to double check but hard to imagine this isn't a neutral. There were only 2 wires at the light fixture, black and white. I have the black connected to the brass screw on the dimmer. Seems to me the white has to be the neutral but to your point, I need to run a voltage check. Even so, I'd expect LED error at the dimmer or some other malfunction yet all switches are working just fine.

Louis

The dimmer should be in the box where that black/white combo that is at the fixture ends up. In a traditional 3/4 way power comes in on one end, goes through the switches and up to the light at the other end (switch leg). In some cases the power and switch leg are at the same end. The electrician will relay power to the other end. This is probably why there is no neutral at the end.

If the electrician relayed the power you should be ok. If he relayed the switch leg you will need to do some rewiring as you will need all 3 of the conductors at the dead-end.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

To be clear, there is no hot in the load box. Just the load wire and two travelers for the 4-way switch. The attached picture shows what was there before I installed the RRST-PRO-N.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4-waya.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	324.5 KB 
ID:	961

I ran to the box what I believe is a neutral from the light fixture. There are two wires at the fixture; the black load wire that runs to this switch and what I expect to be the neutral white wire also connected to the fixture.

I still need to do a voltage check but I'll rephrase my question.

Can the RRST-PRO-N work without a neutral? If yes, is the neutral required for the switch to be accessible by the Lutron App?

Thanks!

Louis

So it turns out that a factory reset of the switches was all I needed to do. Everything is working now.

Is it common for older homes to lack a neutral wire in certain electrical boxes, and have you encountered similar issues with smart dimmers in such setups?

Lutron Technical Support
    Hello,
    Depending on the age of the home it may have been before code in the area required the neutral wire in the box but still had the neutral wire up where the lights are. A possible solution would be bringing down a dedicated neutral wire so that way the smart dimmers can still be used. In short it would be hard to classify it as common, but it most certainly has been seen before.